Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, new to this forum and new to Renault ownership! (2011 Clio 1.5 Dci Gt 88ps)

I'm looking to remove the Fap / Dpf filter for improved efficiency and reliability; I understand the process of removing the filter housing cutting open chiseling out and welding up etc, and then reading the map file from the ecu and essentially removing the Dpf related software using one of the many ecu flashing tools / software available.

After some searching I found some credible guys through eBay who you can send you map file to for them to carry out the software work but a couple of them have told me its more complex on the Renaults as you need a genuine Renault diagnostic tool to modify the map / software...

Has anybody had luck doing this themselves or found a company that will modify the software? I'm more than competent of doing the physical removal of the filter myself and was looking to save some money an I know many others (VW owners etc) who have performed this task themselves.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Charlie

·
remember Murphy never sleeps
8,239 Posts
hi Charlie if you don't have regulations to stop you cut it out.egr you don't need so do that as well cheers

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Whoo!!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

"The vehicle will automatically fail the MOT test if the filter had been fitted as standard but is found to be no longer present."

"Some firms offer services to remove the filter, claiming it will improve the economy. But it is an offence to drive a vehicle that has been modified this way, as it will no longer meet the emissions standards the car achieved when it was approved for sale in the UK."

Don't think so bruv. :d

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
Aside from the UK govt testing as already mentioned.

You say youre just gonna take it out wotever.

Some people obviously de dpf :) their cars .the tuning/mapping services advertise with remapping lets say for £300 and then say another £100 for dpf/fap removal and remapping to compensate.(all done at the same time)

Ive read thru a few of them .
For my 1.5 dci 2011 : They all offer a remapping service but specifically state .No dpf removal option.

Perhaps this is because they cant get hold of the special renault software or that the dpf ecu doesnt allow non dpf operation.(cant be cracked)
In that case after the innards are removed,some kind of external emulator would be needed, or you get hold of a non dpf ecu ,with or without a CAT box.

A more likely reason ,in my case,is that the DPF/FAP and CAT are combined, all in the one box/sealed unit .Whatever about having just the dpf removed.No cat either would be bad for MOT, Id imagine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I once read that you could solder a capacitor or diode in line to fool the ecu that the dpf was still conected
can't remember where but it happens a lot on pugs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response guys, think I just need to do some more digging, there will be many people who have done this I'm sure just need to find the right person with the ecu expertise.

Any more information would be greatly appreciated and I'll be sure to post anything I find up here.

Thanks

Charlie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts