·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All

I had my friendly mechanic look over my car to see if anything was amiss
He found a couple of faults

Engine Top Mount and a rear Coil Spring

I was given a price for fixing the faults but he can't get me in for a few weeks
Googling the cost of the parts it wouldn't be the end of the world to wait but they both look like possible DIY fixes

My questions are

Can you change the top mount without stripping the engine down too much.
So a bit of a how to?

The second question is

Can you do a coil spring with just one trolley jack?

With the mount I have seen on fleabay where people are selling the mount with a cover off the engine

Is this because it was the easiest way of getting it out?
It may be a simple job of supporting the engine and unbolting the bolts in turn then feeding the part under the AC pipe
Or is it more complicated?

With the Coil
I was wondering if I could do the job with just one jack?
Jack the rear up (safely, in gear with the wheels chocked)
Relive the tension on the suspension and unbolt the bottom of the shock.
Jack up the rear till I can pull the spring out.
replace the spring then lower the car till I can re-bolt the shock

Any help and answers appreciated

Steve

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Hi

Megane II, rear springs are a reasonably easy job.

Ideally you should change them in pairs, in addition to a trolley jack you will need 2 axel stands & both 16 & 18 mm sockets & torque wrench. !

I took lots of photo's /video when doing them on my Megane, with the intention of putting it on YouTube but never got around to posting it. Unfortunately they are in a format I cannot post on here. :crying2:

Let me know if you need further assistance of this procedure.

Alan

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
"With the Coil
I was wondering if I could do the job with just one jack?
Jack the rear up (safely, in gear with the wheels chocked)
Relive the tension on the suspension and unbolt the bottom of the shock.
Jack up the rear till I can pull the spring out.
replace the spring then lower the car till I can re-bolt the shock."

No ! you cannot do one side at a time !

You need to jack up the car both sides together , chocking the front wheels as you say & support both sides on stands. Then with the trolley jack holding the rear beam, release both shock absorbers and lower the whole beam keeping it level and parallel with the body which will release both springs.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,329 Posts
OR, OR, Raise the car and fit axle stands under the sills, using the area under the coil spring cup to raise one side at a time..
Once done.. ( Dont remove the wheels, no need to)

Put the jack back under the cup below the spring, undo the top shocker pin, remove pin and remove trolley jack, go to the other side, do the same,
Lower the jack and remove, replace springs, lift back up below the coil spring cup, insert pin, making sure it will screw in by hand.
Now go to the other side and again put the jack under the coil spring cup and raise the back end and refit the shocker pin.
Remove axle stands, .. Raise car so you can just get at the top shocker pins. Tighten them up...
Try not to jack off the centre of the back axle, these bend very easily ...

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,785 Posts
Way ours describes is easiest way ..just had a pair done on Laguna ..charged me 30mins labour

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys
Thanks for your words of wisdom
looks like a job for next weekend as I need to dig out the tools and buy the springs
I did see a YouTube video where a guy changed just one side but as you have said they are best changed in pairs so why waste time doing one when its not much more effort doing both at the same time.
One other question though
Do you have to unbolt both ends of the shock?
Could you just undo the bottom bolt?

Thanks again

Steve

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Hi

yes - just undo the bottom bolt (18mm)

I'm trying to upload the video I took when doing mine onto YouTube, but they seem to want it in a different format, so my other comp is converting it at the moment.
Hope to upload it over the weekend. will post a link here once its running.

·
39,329 Posts
problem with bottom one, they are hard to undo, as all the rust and everything else collects, top one, you are undoing above, and not on the ground. more room for leverage ,, big bar and extension easier to get in.
Less chance of pulling muscles because of the confined space.
I have to crawl around most days of the week under cars, but if not needed, will not get under...

·
22,785 Posts
Gives you the general idea ...tells you why garage charged 30mins labour on pair for Laguna

·
22,785 Posts
Probably is staged ...its just the luck of the draw how the bolts are ...remember he has the car lifted well up off the ground so a lot easier so pay heid to what @ours2012 says

·
39,329 Posts
Every part of that car has been off,, .
smiled when I saw how easy the nut was undone ,, bet A55ii did not undo his that easy, and he.s 6 ft built like a brick s**t house..
That guy is the same size as me, no muscles, but used a ratchet, very professional. wonder if he wears the gloves to hide his smashed knuckles:grin2:

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
problem with bottom one, they are hard to undo, as all the rust and everything else collects, top one, you are undoing above, and not on the ground. more room for leverage ,, big bar and extension easier to get in.
Less chance of pulling muscles because of the confined space.
I have to crawl around most days of the week under cars, but if not needed, will not get under...

the trailing arm plastic cover prevents most dirt etc. getting onto these bolts, they are however very tight but you can reach them with the car on the ground, mine is a ST so on a h/back should be quite easy to reach.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Every part of that car has been off,, .
smiled when I saw how easy the nut was undone ,, bet A55ii did not undo his that easy, and he.s 6 ft built like a brick s**t house..
That guy is the same size as me, no muscles, but used a ratchet, very professional. wonder if he wears the gloves to hide his smashed knuckles:grin2:
Hi

yes - they just undid with a normal ratchet yes I'm 6'2":grin2: built like a rake !
& wear gloves to keep the oil off !

Job took a hour and a bit including taking the video

here it is

took longer to edit and upload !:crying2:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice video/slideshow

Where did you place the axel stands?
Did you jack the whole back end up or each side independently?
I haven't needed to lift my car so I am unsure where The jacking points are and the best place to site axel stands?

It will probably be self evident, but again a word from the wise would help

Cheers

Steve

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Nice video/slideshow

Where did you place the axel stands?
Did you jack the whole back end up or each side independently?
I haven't needed to lift my car so I am unsure where The jacking points are and the best place to site axel stands?

It will probably be self evident, but again a word from the wise would help

Cheers

Steve

Hi

glad you like the video & the very appropriate music !:grin2:

I used the rear jacking points for the stands, (my stands have home made rubber cups on the top)
You have to remove the plastic cover on the trailing arm with car on the deck first, then you can use the jack on the bottom of the suspension. With the wheels still on I jacked car from the rear. The front wheels were of course chocked and car put in gear.

Had to lift car in stages, one side & place stand, lift the other & place stand then went back & lifted first side again & raised stand up a notch & then repeated other side etc.

Don't forget to use your dust pan and bush to empty out all the detritus that is collected in the bottom of the spring pan or spring may not seat correctly.

As I have said before, this job took me just under two hours and that was with stopping to take all the photo's .

Any other questions or help just ask, I do have more photo's that didn't make it out of the cutting room if necessary.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Hi

meant to add -

you cannot do one side at a time , like in the video undo both sides together then lower the trailing arm otherwise there is a danger that it may twist & not drop far enough to remove spring.:nerd:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts