Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think dealers give them away mine came new with locking nuts and the original wheel bolts in the box.
So not fitted at the factory

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
My 2005 came without locking bolts and I got a 'recall' letter to take it in and have them fitted. My 2002 came with them as standard.

I don't know whether they're factory fitted, or whether it's left to the supplying dealer, but it would appear that they're supposed to be standard equipment on the car at delivery.

I imagine all manufacturers are giving them away as standard now (though I'm ready to be corrected.) If the wheels are easy to steal, then it might bump the car into a higher insurance group, which would in turn make the model less desirable to prospective buyers.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
do you have a problem with yours bpowell555?

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Mine were factory fitted, it is easy to tell, if they are like mine, made out of chocolate, they were fitted by the factory.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where should the "key" be - with the tools in the spare? I've nothing with the car other than the tools which leads me to think maybe they're not locking... Some wheels were stolen from the car park the other day in broad daylight so I want to check!

How can I tell if they're locking? My old pug came with a box in the glovebox...

Lag is an 02 2.2 initiale... Parkers doesn't say either way
Renault Laguna Hatchback - 2.2 dCi Initiale 5d (05) - Equipment & Options - Parker's

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If the bolts are visible, then one will look different. If the bolts are covered, then you'll need to remove the centre cap to see.

You'll probably need a special tool to remove the centre cap - it's normally a T-handled driver with three pins in the other end. If you don't have that, then you should be able to get one easily enough - they're not even specific to Renault, and I once used one of mine to help someone change a wheel on a Vauxhall.

Check the spare wheel well for the locking wheel nut key first. There's an accessory tray that sits in the wheel (with the jack, wheelbrace etc. in it) and there's a good chance that the previous owner has just lobbed the key in there. Beyond that, check around and under the spare wheel, and then go rooting round all of the interior storage compartments, including the rear ash tray (you never know.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts