Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a 03 MEgane with 45K on the clock. I now longer drive the car and want to sell it. Should I get the timing belt changed. A mechanic told me it needed it when I got it serviced last week. He may be pulling my chain as he has been known for this sort of thing so I am looking for advice. What is the usual mileage range for a timing belt change for this model. I have heard anywhere from 40K to 60K. Since I am not keen on spending a fortune on a car I want rid of, any advice would be great.

Thanks,
GB

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi if your selling the car i would not tend to change the belt but it might help you sell it but the belt should be changed at 72k or every 5 five years what ever comes first.I hope this helps all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yep,it is always a good selling point to have the belt changed,but you have to weigh it up against the possible cost involved.

If your selling it to someone you know,then have it changed.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks. I appreciate it. I have been speaking to a mechanic I know in the last hour and he was saying that the Renault bible is saying 60K for the '03. I am getting it into a REnault dealer on Tuesday to get a new key programmed so I might get them to take the look under the belt cover. Looks like I'll be saving myself a few quid and not bother changing it.

Thanks again for your replies. Much appreciated.

GB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts