Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Let's face it, people have been "falling down the stairs" on the way to the cells for donkey's years.

It's just that nowadays we have CCTV and camcorders, so if they "fall down the stairs" in a public place there's a chance that the whole thing will be caught on CCTV or amateur video.

I think you're likely to find yourself falling down a much steeper flight of stairs if you get on the wrong side of plod in some of our sister European countries. But of course that still doesn't make police brutality in the UK excusable or right.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let's also remember that this woman was arrested for damaging somebody's car after being kicked out of a night-club where she had been aggressive and then resisted arrest, the copper involved fell down a flight of stairs trying to apprehend her - she's been found guilty in court for this!

Look at how many police were needed to attend to this incident, she was violent towards the police, the public and property - what does she expect?

Do I think it's right that the copper should give her a few digs? NO I certainly don't because that makes them as bad as the filth that they have to deal with on a daily basis but they are human with emotions, adrenaline etc etc you have got to be realistic - this is going to happen whether you like it or not or agree with it or not!

What concerned me about this story was the likes of GMTV headlining it as a video of the Police attacking a black woman - is the colour relevant to the case? Sensationalistic journalism to incite a bit more racial tension - knobs!

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
I couldn't agree with you more OG but the ol' bill have pepper spray or the like don't they? I would have imagined this would have been more effective and less damaging a, to the woman (I stop myself short of calling her a lady) and b, to the Police in the ensuing case that she is lodging.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Do I think it's right that the copper should give her a few digs? NO I certainly don't because that makes them as bad as the filth that they have to deal with on a daily basis but they are human with emotions, adrenaline etc etc you have got to be realistic - this is going to happen whether you like it or not or agree with it or not!
Spot on. The question is that, having been caught in the act, should the behaviour go unpunished?

If it is found that the officer in question went beyond what was necessary to restrain and subdue the woman, then I feel that there should be disciplinary action at the very least.

And if there are no repercussions, then this is going to cause a lot of friction, especially as the 'racial' issue has already been raised in the media. Maybe we Brits are too reserved to re-enact the LA riots of the early 90s. Fingers crossed eh?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Does anyone watch 'Life on Mars'?

For anyone old enough to remember the police in the 1970's

Were the police really like that? i believe so. i worked with a guy that was a policeman in the 70's, he said he would get a pint from a list of pubs after hours and drive to the next, no problems.

As for punching people, he told me stories of abusive criminals and gave as good as he got, he also happned to be on the boxing team.:yawn:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Were the police really like that? i believe so. i worked with a guy that was a policeman in the 70's, he said he would get a pint from a list of pubs after hours and drive to the next, no problems.
Yep. They just stuck their police hat in the back window, and on-duty plod would know to leave them alone. It was still going on in the early 90s, though they may have clamped down now.

Back then, I think a lot of people still saw drink-driving as illegal but not antisocial: To many, there was nothing wrong with doing it, but everything wrong with being caught. Thankfully that attitude has changed.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I would like to see is a return to a society free from young men and women who think it's acceptable to get drunk and cause a ruck just because they fancy a bit of trouble

As for the Police's response I think OG has hit the nail on the head. They are human and we should accept that they have to deal with this sort of situation without any time for reflection. If he's found to have been over the top then throw the book at him, but I suspect self-defence will work well in mitigation to be honest

As for claiming she was having an epilptic fit I think that's a bit rich to be honest. Aren't most people who suffer from epilepsy told not to drink more than moderate amounts as alcohol withdrawal can cause seizures?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If it was a p1ssed up and violent bloke who the police were punching,the policemen in question would have got a promotion.......

I'm not saying that hitting women is acceptable,because it's not,but she was out of control and although the officer did go over board with his actions,I think I can understand how it happened.I don't want to say that she deserved it,but you can see how the situation developed.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If it was a p1ssed up and violent bloke who the police were punching,the policemen in question would have got a promotion.......
Maybe there's more of an uproar because it's a woman, but a similar case of a man being beaten by police (while unknowingly being filmed by a neighbour with a camcorder) created a similar stir. I don't think gender is an issue here.
I'm not saying that hitting women is acceptable,because it's not,but she was out of control and although the officer did go over board with his actions,I think I can understand how it happened.I don't want to say that she deserved it,but you can see how the situation developed.
I don't think anyone's taking a holier than thou attitude. We can all see why it happened, and who can honestly say that they'd have reacted differently in the same situation? If somebody attacked me and I managed to get the better of them, could I honestly say I'd stop at self-defence? There'd be a big part of me wanting revenge for the attack in the first place, and I can't swear that in the heat of the moment, I would be able to keep that under control.

But that wouldn't make my actions justifiable, and human nature or being 'wound up' is no excuse for violent behaviour. This should be especially true of someone who has been trained to handle these situations and is likely to encounter them on a semi-regular basis.

Guilty or innocent, I don't think he's going to be let off the hook now that some have taken the opportunity to play the racism card.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd like to see the whole video rather than the 10 second TV version - I'm sure it would be very intersting!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts