Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my new Renault Clio Campus tomorrow. I'm getting mixed messages some people say a new car needs to be run in. Others say you don't. What's the truth? I'm not planning on breaking any speed records but would like to think I could do 70 on the motorway.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
God yes you can indeed take the car to 70 on the motorway what there meaning is do not take her up through the gears like a rally driver and do not take the car any further than about 70 for a while just to let all the new components work in i hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Donald. I was a tad worried. Better get my maps out and get planning some road trips for over easter!:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Thanks Donald. I was a tad worried. Better get my maps out and get planning some road trips for over easter!:)
Hi not a problem as Chris has said just ask when you pick the car up but i have bought new before and indeed you can drive the car but not like i have already said to you i wish you all the luck with you new car cheers

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums.

I would just drive with care, Do not race through the gears or redline the car, easy and gently but use it ..

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
It should say in the handbook, for how many miles and at what revs the car should be run in for.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I always try to be nice to a brand new engine, even if the handbook doesn't say I have to.

The way I do it (which isn't necessarily right) is, for the first 1000 miles or so...
Don't labour the engine (i.e. never drive in too high a gear for the road speed and gradient.)
Avoid 'foot to the floor' acceleration.
Don't exceed 2/3 of the maximum RPM (the red line on the rev counter) unless you have to go slightly over in top gear to achieve your desired speed. 70 on the motorway won't be a problem.
Try to vary the engine speed a fair amount, rather than just sitting at the same speed in the same gear for long periods.

Once you pass 1000 miles, slowly stretch beyond 2/3 of maximum RPM. By the time I've hit 2000 miles, I'm happy to take the car to the red-line every now and again and generally just start driving it as I would for the rest of the time that I have it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The car manual I received with my clio gave me information on what to do to run in the car.
In mine it stated that if a diesel car then do not exceed 2500rpm for the first 900miles.
For the petrol version, do not exceed 80 mph in the highest gear or 3000 to 3500 rpm for the first 625 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts