Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not going to name them, as this post will be removed.

(They claim to be the midlands largest stockest of used Renault parts)

It all started when i needed a driveshaft for my car - i went and got one along with a fuel pump and sender unit.

The garage i use stripped the car down - wrong D/S and also faulty Sender unit.

I ended up buying a brand new D/S, and just left the old sender in.

I called these 'experts' who said i could not have my money back and asked me what car the driveshaft was for???

Said if i want my money - go to the small claims court. Very good attitude as they have £100 of my cash.

I left it for a week or so, CAB are useless. Decided to visit them in person and swap the parts for tyres that i need.
Right game doing this, it turns out that whilst i was n the office they stabbed the tyres i was to have!

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤s - never ever go there - i was not the only one with a complaint. A lad with a mk2, phase2 clio had also bought a d/s - they gave him one from a mk1, different engine - luckily he said his house was 10mins from this place.

Avoid them. I am going through trading standards now

Matt

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
i would have gone to the small claims court,that way they would have got the bad publicity.
have you completed the repairs to your car.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi vertigogreen (otherwise known as copper oxide) - first rule of buying second hand parts is to take the old component with you - if you can - that way you can match it on the counter or corner of a field (or wherever ). I my experience using second hand drive-shafts always works out expensive - cos you have no way of testing it before fitting and if it turns out faulty and take it back they could argue it was due to incorrect fitting (very difficult to prove or disprove in a court of law). Whilst original manufacturers stuff can be very expensive - I tend to buy reconditioned units from a reputable motor factors - which carry a guarantee - this is where you trade your old unit in - again take the old one with you as there will be a surcharge until you hand the old one back. My old man used to say "Buy cheap and you'll end up paying twice" - in this case I think he's right. Let me have your comments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They claim to be 'experts' and know everything about renault.

I got new, genuine parts, fitted by county fleet maintenance (they service the police and fire etc...)

They know how the law operates - consumer has no protection whatsoever.

I tell you people - NEVER go there. I was fooled. The staff are aggressive(once they have your cash) rude, and have little intelligence.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Vertigo green - why did you go there in the first place - would you give me a guarantee to fit on second hand stuff you sold me - I doubt it very much. "Once bitten twice shy Eh!" I suggest you don't insult their intelligence - by doing so you are inviting people to question yours. After all who has the money now! The courts are not very sympathetic to people who buy second hand or used parts - just as well or we could never get rid of our second hand cars.
"Caveat emptor" - let the buyer beware.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Matt bought the parts in good faith and trusted the company he dealt with.If those parts were incorrect or faulty then they should have been changed without hassle.

I applaud him for trying to save a few quid and source some second hand parts,after all recycling is the future......please don't have a go at him for it.He just trusted the wrong people,a mistake that I'm sure all of us have made,even yourself.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Matt bought the parts in good faith and trusted the company he dealt with.If those parts were incorrect or faulty then they should have been changed without hassle.

I applaud him for trying to save a few quid and source some second hand parts,after all recycling is the future......please don't have a go at him for it.He just trusted the wrong people,a mistake that I'm sure all of us have made,even yourself.

Yes and I'm sure there advert would have said Guaranteed used parts .

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Most parts I have bought through the findapart service come with a 3 month guarantee.I have yet to have any problems,but maybe I'm just lucky/jammy.....:d

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This company is dodgy is all im saying. Fair enough, i've lost a hundred quid, but i had £106 knocked off the genuine, new driveshaft i bought.

Im just warning you people about these jokers. Not all used parts places treat people with little respect. I've learn't a lesson - when a thick c*** answers the phone, forget it - they will sell you anythin just to get the money off you. Forget small claims - it will cost more in the long run.

The secondhand part i bought had 'megane 1.616v plastered all over it in paint pen.

New parts from places like GSF (very helpful) and other stockists such as SHOP4PARTS - go to these and buy new.

My car is in mint condition, and im going to keep it that way.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Ottoman - like your comments to Veritgo. But in all honesty Vertigo - I'm glad you got sorted and have learnt from your mistake - some companies will claim anything just to get the business. I am always dubious about using second hand parts especially cos if they failed and caused an accident. Components such as brakes, drive-shafts, suspension components, etc should be replaced either by new parts or refurbished parts manufactured or remanufactured to a specific standard. I also appreciate you trying to be like your car and be green (recycle and all that) but unsafe products only make matters much worse. I live in Northern Ireland and green coloured cars are diffcult to sell - you can pick them up usually 10-15% under book price - a car salesman once told me a lot of people are superstitious about the colour green and think its unlucky. Good Luck and look after your car and it will look after you:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have had many positive comments about the colour,

The colour put me off at first - but now think its the best

Its(the megane) is like new, Conti tyres all round, maintained by a Government Garage (i work for the council) cheapest labour rate and best service. People are taking BMW's etc there as the service is top.

Its due for a service in the next few weeks and will mot it on Monday.

44MPG, 130 mph, 0-60 9sec - 18000 miles service intervals (what more could i ask for?)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
i have had many positive comments about the colour,

The colour put me off at first - but now think its the best

Its(the megane) is like new, Conti tyres all round, maintained by a Government Garage (i work for the council) cheapest labour rate and best service. People are taking BMW's etc there as the service is top.

Its due for a service in the next few weeks and will mot it on Monday.

44MPG, 130 mph, 0-60 9sec - 18000 miles service intervals (what more could i ask for?)

I'm glad you enjoy your car and take pride in it's ownership . I think SBs is the same colour as yours.:)

Regards

Ottoman
:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
hi Vertigo - sounds like you've got a special there - the acceleration you quote is WOW!:rofl: - wish my Porsche was as quick of the mark:) But seriously don't expect 18,000 mile service intervals to be sufficient. There are a number of comments in this forum and others on the Parker website all clearly stating it is far too long. If you don't believe me ask any decent motor tech - even the trade aren't too happy about it.. Renaults aren't really up to it - change your oil and filters (including the pollen filter if fitted) at least every 9000 or once a year whichever comes first. Do this and ypu'll have fewer probs down the line. Additionally it is recommended the brake fluid be changed every 2 years or so. It's money well spent. Good Luck with the lean green machine/:)

P.S Have you ever had this car doing 120 MPH or is that just what it says in a catalogue. Remember what advertisers say isn't necessarily true.
I wouldn't like to be doing 100 MPH (plus)in a standard Renault cos I don't think the brakes are really up to it at those speeds.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i can only say i have witnessed it do 131

it has not consumed any oil in 14000 miles sine i bought it

i drive it carefully and mainly go on the motorway 60-70 mph

ive got it upto 51mpg before(used £15 petrol)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
hi Vertigi -did you witness the 131 MPH from the drivers seat or were you cringing in the back. :rofl: Whether an engine uses oil or not is not the reason oil needs to be changed. It s because it becomes contaminated through use (it will absorb burnt carbon deposits, unburnt fuel, water,etc) and the oil filter cannot remove all these deposits). Apart from libricating the vital components it's other vital funcction is to cool the moving parts and oil cannot do this as it becomes dirty. In fact an engine which uses a liitle oil and is topped up on a regular basis has oil which is constantly being refreshed and will perform somewhat better. Proper lubrication and cooling are vital to the perfromance of any engine. I suggest you ask the techno guys at the great garage you are using - they'll probably give you a similar answer. You seemed to be getting good MPG - can you tell me how you calculated that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know all about oil! you don't need to tell me the importance of changing it.

I can attach the spreadsheet ive created to calculate MPG to a message when i get into work tomorrow. Its accurate as i've used it on previous cars - i dont go by the computer, cos its not accurate

basically i go by the volume of litres added per £10 say 11.5 (0.869p) litres - record the mileage and where the petrol gauge is (on level surface and mark it)

add the fuel and record how many miles i do until the gauge reaches the recorded level - then calculate

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
H vertigo - would love to see your spreadsheet -bet it's beautiful. I wasn't trying to educate a well educated person as your goodself in the importance and function of engine oil - I was trying to demonstrate the importance of regular oil changes and why most engineers not only in this forum but many others feel that 18,000 miles between oil changes as recommended by Renault is much too long. As a matter of interest when you check your fuel guage you say the car is parked on level ground - is that with the engine running and the handbrake on. Looking forward to seeing your spreadsheet.:rofl:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts