Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, my first post hoping someone can help :) .

My girlfriend has lost her keys to her clio it is a Mreg which makes it a 94 - 95 i guess? 1.9 diesel. i dont know what Mark it is except it looks like this one (balck one at top) [URLhttp://www.renaultforums.co.uk/my-mottah/17575-my-battered-clio.html[/URL] except hers has square headlights not rounded at one corner which i think this one has?.

LINK DONT WORK so please look in MY MOTTAH section under MY BATTERED CLIO.

She rang up her local Renault dealership and the said as long it has its original locks then they can get a copy from france in five days for £140 :crazy: .

I suggested she rings up the garage where she gets her MOTs done and they gave her the number of a locksmith and he said he would come to her and put new locks on and do two new keys for £100.

The problem is Renault say that there is a chip in the key which has to be coded or the car wont work.

But the locksmith says the car is old and does not need a coded key.

Dont know if this helps: but when she got the car it only came with one key it has the blipper built on to the end of the key not seperate and has a red led in it.

As far as we can tell the blipper only locks and unlocks the car as it does not always work so she uses the key as a normal key and the car starts fine.

There is a immobilizer but you have to use a seperate small brass key in a lock in the roof of the glovebox it is a pain so she does not use it.

So what we are wondering is:

Are Renault lying about the key does it need coding/chipping or could we get a blank key from somewhere else cheap and not code it?.

Is the locksmith right is the car so old that you dont need a coded key and would £100 be about right for a new set of locks and keys and how easy is the job?.

If the key does need coding/chipping could the locksmith do the locks and we just take the key to Renault for coding as it would cost a lot to truck the car as well to the dealers?

Is there anyway to tell if they are original factory locks and not that one of the previous 4 or 5 owners has had them changed?.

P.S. If the key needs to be coded for the door lock plipper or other periphirals then dont worry as she just need the car back CHEAP and can live without the toys also she needs the car urgently so any ideas or help would be great :) .

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to assist with your post.

Regards

Ottoman

A

·
0 Posts
Sorry I can not help you with this one

Justed wanted to welcome you to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
We had a Clio, it was a 1993 K reg, so a bit older. That too had a remote key and the immobilser was a separate one in the glovebox.
The key itself was just a key and an infra red remote - no immobiliser actually in the key.
However, if yours is slightly newer it may be different, although it sounds like it is the same.

I would double check with Renault but I'm pretty sure you don't need a coded immobiliser key. It will probably need to be coded to the car though for the infra red remote to work. If you are not bothered about having remote locking, just get a normal key to use in the locks. It will be cheaper.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
ST's absolutely right.

The diesel Renaults of your age don't have either chipped keys or an immobiliser that works from the central locking key blip.I have owned a 1995 19 RN diesel,and this was the same as yours(immobiliser hidden in the glovebox with a seperate key).

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After looking at replys on this thread went back to Renault last friday and got them to check the VIN number and they said there were twelve different types of key it could be :crazy: but said it would still be most likely a code key.

They ordered a basic key (just key no blipper/fob) for £30 to try and said it would not be in till tomorrow but the girlfriend got a phone call late tuesday to say it was in :) .

Went and tried it in the car and it works fine, shame no blipper locking but it has saved £130 so very happy :d .

Thanks for the replys and help :d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts