Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, this question has always bothered me.. neva asked it though..

if you labour the engine , does it cause any damage?

like driving around town in 5th?

i usually switch to 5th when on a straight road and at around 40 (just under 2000 revs) to save fuel..

dus it really save fuel or does it cause damage to engine in long run?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I can't see a problem with the way you drive which would cause undue engine wear,but it might give the clutch and gearbox a slightly harder time.

The main thing to remember when engine wear is concerned is to not race the engine until it is up to normal running temperature.Most of the wear that occurs in an engine happens from a cold start up.

I'd be tempted to use third or fourth gear a little more,and leave 5th for cruising(as CM says).:).

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
The best rule of thumb I would offer is that if you are in a high gear and need to use more than half the throttle travel just to maintain a relatively low speed, then you should be considering a downchange. Using a high gear with a wide throttle opening is just pouring fuel down the drain, as the car feels sluggish, but the fuel economy just heads south.

Hope that helps.

Paul:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
from your description of the way you drive it sounds fine to me..i drive pretty similar but i have a 1.5dci so that might make all the difference.the rpm is pretty similar if not slightly lower at that speed so it doesnt seem dissimilar though.the car is still pretty responsive and seems happy enough.

i actually find it weird to change up that "late" although i have to in order to have a responsive car with the clio.but in all my old cars (1.0 micra, 1.9d 95 clio and 1.5d pug 106) i could change up at about 30mph on straight, free flowing roads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts