Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
This is just a query about whether such a thing as a lower cambelt cover exists on a renault clio E7J type engine.Renault dealers say it is not shown on their parts diagrams so there is no such thing.On the other hand a renault mechanic said there should be a lower cover behind the crankshaft pully so who is right?I have just replaced a broken cambelt and there was no bottom cover fitted, so I presumed there should be one to protect the belt.If Renault never made one do I get rid of the car quick before more stone chips get in and ruin the new belt.
Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Sounds like something is missing - why not try a visit to a scrapper and see if they have any engines lying around - that way you could make a comparison. Maybe someone in the past has made a botch job of it.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
There definately should be a lower cover.:)

As Noel says,try a local breakers yard to locate a replacement.There are different types fitted to different aged vehicles,so you'll need to find one the same age as yours.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies but I am still stuck on this one.After phoning Renault customer care and waiting a day for a reply they confirmed that the part is not on their parts drawing.So,did this engine never have a lower cambelt cover?Seems awfull strange that a designer would leave a cambelt so open to road debris that I`m wondering whether they have cocked up somwhere and have a warehouse full of unsold cambelt covers.Any suggestions as to how I can find out for definite if this car left the factory with or without a lower cambelt cover will be most welcome.It`s a Clio Mk1 1997 sport with a type E7J engine.
Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Bspin - another possibility is that renault have changed the design of the cover to be in two parts only - the inner and a one-piece outer cover. It may be possible that the modified one may fit your engine. To minimise the risk of engine damage and water ingress later models may have also been fitted with an engine under tray.:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
well looking at the renault dialogys there is not one as long you've got the one that goes under the engine support then thats it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts