Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Renault Clio 1.2. so my wipers stopped working the other day did some research and decided most likely a motor. Just fitted the motor and still not working so was wondering if it has something to do with this plug?

·
Premium Member
Clio Mk IV 1.5 dCi MediaNav S/S 2013
3,887 Posts
What plug might that be then?

·
Premium Member
6,439 Posts
hi

We seem to be playing parts darts here, what checks did you make before deducing the motor was at fault ? Have you tested the old motor now its removed ?.

Now you think its the plug, what tests have you made to come to this conclusion ?

I would have started with test meter or lamp from the other end; battery, fuse, the steering column switch ( the mk3 Achilles heel) before the end you have started from, moving down the harness to business end which is where you seem to have commenced.

Al

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi

We seem to be playing parts darts here, what checks did you make before deducing the motor was at fault ? Have you tested the old motor now its removed ?.

Now you think its the plug, what tests have you made to come to this conclusion ?

I would have started with test meter or lamp from the other end; battery, fuse, the steering column switch ( the mk3 Achilles heel) before the end you have started from, moving down the harness to business end which is where you seem to have commenced.

Al
So I started with the fuse and all good. tested battery and all good there as well. For the column switch I assume it's still fine as all other functions still work including the rear wiper. The reason I suspected the motor was because first of all the motor would just cut out randomly and then sometimes stop working for short periods until finally giving up recently.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
6,411 Posts
You could bench test the motor to eliminate the plug. The earth is generally black. Depending on the car the supply is white and violet with a fourth, possibly green, to the uch module.
Wiper motors often fail due to water ingress which could be due to a flooded scuttle. You could open the old motor. Is the replacement a new unit or a used. Is it an exact replacement. Some motors differ in the way they are wired and will not work on a different model year..
You could also check the supply and earth at the plug. Is power arriving and is there continuity between the earth wire and a good ground.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could bench test the motor to eliminate the plug. The earth is generally black. Depending on the car the supply is white and violet with a fourth, possibly green, to the uch module.
Wiper motors often fail due to water ingress which could be due to a flooded scuttle. You could open the old motor. Is the replacement a new unit or a used. Is it an exact replacement. Some motors differ in the way they are wired and will not work on a different model year..
You could also check the supply and earth at the plug. Is power arriving and is there continuity between the earth wire and a good ground.
So the motor is brand new and says it's to OEM spec for my year. I checked the plug with a multimeter today and got no power to the plug would this suggest that the wiper stalk is broken and not sending the signal to it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I started with the fuse and all good. tested battery and all good there as well. For the column switch I assume it's still fine as all other functions still work including the rear wiper. The reason I suspected the motor was because first of all the motor would just cut out randomly and then sometimes stop working for short periods until finally giving up recently.
Also check fault cable short to ground. Could be cutting power flow to the load( motor) just my gues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts