Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Another post today.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI 65 2005.

I have a quick question. I'm going to replace this mount as my gear stick is quite wobbly and when I accelerate it moves quite a bit more than normal. I also hate how it shakes when I turn the car off, so annoying!

Do I need to support the engine when I change this? Will the other mounts hold it?

I'm just curious in case the engine typically moves when this mount is removed or I will just need to shoogle it into position when I come to fit the new one.

TIA

Super mod..
Doesn't say what engine on this vid but its how its done..

Registered
Don't know which one is dog bone mount, but generally....

Torque mount under the engine, you do not need to support the engine to change it.
Top mount and gearbox mount, yes.

Registered
Don't know which one is dog bone mount, but generally....

Torque mount under the engine, you do not need to support the engine to change it.
Top mount and gearbox mount, yes.
The one directly at the bottom and behind the gearbox. The tie mount I think it's actually referred to. Correct me if I'm wrong in the name guys.

OP, yes you will need a jack under the engine sump with a wooden block between your jack stand cup and the oil sump. Don't jack past the stopping point once you feel the weight of the sump. Once you've done this. You can safely remove the 2 bolts holding the subframe bracket and the mount itself, which connects to the gearbox.

Out of the all the mounts. This one is the easiest to replace. Under tray off, jack upto the sump, remove the 2 bolts and the mount. Fit in reverse. No awkward piping, looms or plastic clips to squeeze between or snap.

Registered
That's what we call torque mount as it handles torque only, engine weight does not sit on it.
It's commonly referred to Dog Bone mount due to the mount being shaped like a dog bone. I can understand torque mount. As you described yourself, it handles torque only. Tie mount makes sense too. As the mount ties the the engine and gearbox lower back end in order to stock swinging motions back and forth.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one directly at the bottom and behind the gearbox. The tie mount I think it's actually referred to. Correct me if I'm wrong in the name guys.

OP, yes you will need a jack under the engine sump with a wooden block between your jack stand cup and the oil sump. Don't jack past the stopping point once you feel the weight of the sump. Once you've done this. You can safely remove the 2 bolts holding the subframe bracket and the mount itself, which connects to the gearbox.

Out of the all the mounts. This one is the easiest to replace. Under tray off, jack upto the sump, remove the 2 bolts and the mount. Fit in reverse. No awkward piping, looms or plastic clips to squeeze between or snap.
Thanks so much that's super helpful 鈽
Do you recommend any specific brands? There's a few on euro car parts like Starline and OCAP?

Registered
Thanks so much that's super helpful 鈽
Do you recommend any specific brands? There's a few on euro car parts like Starline and OCAP?
I don't mean to be that a.shole. but do not buy your mount from Euros. For mounts, I would personally only suggest OEM. I know you want new, but Renbreakers are selling a OEM used one for 拢9 - Renault Clio MK2 2001-2006 1.5 dCi Gearbox Dog Bone Mount

Since its a mount that stop forward and backwards motion. I would get the OEM one and spray with some non rubber corrosive grease. Install it and call it day. For 拢9, it's not going to do damage to anyone's wallet.

Super mod..
Do you if it's okay to buy the Starline or OCAP branded mounts from euro? I've read sometimes the quality can be bad with the brand's they sell.
I tend to steer clear of these places because of over pricing and dubious quality of the parts ..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't mean to be that a.shole. but do not buy your mount from Euros. For mounts, I would personally only suggest OEM. I know you want new, but Renbreakers are selling a OEM used one for 拢9 - Renault Clio MK2 2001-2006 1.5 dCi Gearbox Dog Bone Mount

Since its a mount that stop forward and backwards motion. I would get the OEM one and spray with some non rubber corrosive grease. Install it and call it day. For 拢9, it's not going to do damage to anyone's wallet.
Thanks, I called but someone must have bought it before me. Thanks for the advice though, I'll live with the wobble until I come across an OEM part :)

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
When it comes to rubber mounts, I tend to agree with Ceex but not necessarily restrict myself to OEM, ie Renault dealer.
My local factors generally supply Moog
Which I am far happier with then spurious named parts from the like of ECP.
Cheap parts are often cheap because the maker has cut corners, cheaper material, less quality control etc etc.

Registered
Thanks, I called but someone must have bought it before me. Thanks for the advice though, I'll live with the wobble until I come across an OEM part :)
beware the additional strain that the engine movement will be putting on the other mountings (which will be more expensive and more b**lache to replace). You might be able to live with the wobble but will the other components? 馃槅
I'd factor in replacing the torque bar sooner rather than later.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts