Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Captur tce 120 edc , 2010 Lancer VIII 1.8 143 hp
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi ladies and gents

As some of you may remember my thread about the polish tatra sheepdog i bought, i have kinda problem with his eating habits.

When he was small - up to two three months, he used to eat so slow. For the last 45 days ( he just passed 4th month) he eats like he was left in hunger for a month. I feed him 3 times a day with Brit lamb and rice for large breeds ( only feed him with dry food, so rarely i give him boiled beef or lamb) and i give him 10_15 percent more than recommended but he is incredibly greedy.

The biggest problem here is that he swallows, does not even try to chew. I bought fancy plate where he needs to spend some time to get the food, tried to feed him more times like 6 times a day instead of 3 but no avail. These dogs have sensitive stomach and this stupid eating habit - i believe - can cause bloating.

To confirm today i took full of dry kibbles in my hand and gave him after petting him a little and tried to calm him down before giving. Hoooop 2 seconds all is in stomach without any attempt to chew.

On the internet i cannot find anything useful apart from recommendation od feeding the dog with larger kibbles. It sounds plausible but could not find any premium dry food for
large breeds, any forum member might have had similar situation so i d appreciate any advice

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
24,195 Posts
From Google. As dogs do tend to gobble their food, mine does but with no problems but as you are concerned have you been to the vet about this problem?
Hope you get it sorted

Does your dog wolf down food? Does it seem like he’s absolutely killing the kibble?

Some dogs are nibblers. Many dogs are gobblers. They devour their meal as soon as the bowl hits the floor. It makes you wonder if they even taste what they are eating. Gulping with such gusto can present some problems for your dog, but there are some things you can do to ease your worries and slow the roll to and from the bowl.

Dogs eating too fast can cause health issues

The first danger is that your dog could choke or gag on his food. Dog owners know the “Ack ack” sound well. If he swallows food without chewing, the pieces get stuck in his throat (Ack!). And when dogs gulp their meal too quickly, they swallow air along with their food. Food and air expand in the stomach, causing pain and discomfort. This can cause your dog to vomit or regurgitate and lead to a serious condition called gastric dilatation-volvulus, or bloat. No one knows for certain what causes it. Some veterinarians think that it can happen when a dog eats too fast and gulps air into his stomach, which then expands with food. The stomach can then twist (volvulus), and even rupture. This is a life-threatening medical emergency, and sometimes surgery is the only treatment option.

Why your dog gulps his food

So why is your dog eating so fast? First, you will want to rule out any medical cause. Your veterinarian may want to test your dog for certain diseases like diabetes mellitus or a hormone-related problem such as Cushing's disease. If your dog is on any medication, ask if the side effects include increased appetite. Your veterinarian can also test for intestinal parasites, which can rob your dog of essential nutrients and increase hunger.

Ask your veterinarian about the

There are other reasons a dog may eat too fast. As a puppy, he may have had to compete with littermates for food. He learned to eat quickly before his brothers and sisters beat him to it! This behavior can then become a bad habit. Even as an adult, there may be competition for food among housemates.

How to get your dog to slow down when eating

If there’s no medical reason for your dog's eating habits, what can you do to slow your dog down at meal time? If you have a dog that is eating fast because he is worried about competition from his housemates, try feeding each dog separately. Give them their own space. This may help a dog that is anxious about food feel less stressed.

One option is to reduce the amount of food your dog can access during a single feeding. PetSafe brand timed automatic dog feeders can dispense food on any schedule you’d like. The PetSafe® Smart Feed can be controlled and programmed with your phone to reduce and schedule portion sizes.

Increasing the number of meals per day also could help. If you only feed your dog once a day, try dividing the total amount into two or even three meals a day. Offering smaller amounts more frequently may help your dog feel more satisfied.

There are “slow feeder” bowls that are made to slow down rapid eaters. The bowls come in different shapes and sizes. They can be purchased in stores or online. You can also use a bundt pan or put a tennis ball in a normal bowl, which works on the same principle. If you place an obstruction between your dog and the food, he will have no choice but to slow down.

You can also purchase food-puzzle dog toys. The food is placed inside the toy. Your dog has to figure out how to roll, slide, or otherwise manipulate the toy in order to get the food out. PetSafe® brand dog toys like the Tug-A-Jug will also encourage your dog to use his brain to solve a problem.

Make your own food puzzles for a creative boost for you and your dog. Cupcake or muffin tins filled with morsels of dry food and covered with appropriately sized balls can also be a way to slow down greedy eaters. Your dog must remove the ball to reach the food (Just be sure the balls are too big for your dog to swallow!). These same tins can also be flipped upside down. Place the kibble in between the mounds. Your dog will have fun figuring out how to get to the food.

Make a game out of mealtime. Hide the food in various locations throughout the house or even in the yard. Your dog will have to "hunt" for his food. This will not only provide some playtime, but some exercise too!

Every dog is different, so try different approaches. See what works best for you and your dog. Keep him happy and safe and have a little fun at the same time!

Soon your pup will be a nibbler, not a gobbler.

Hope this helps with your problem👍👍👍

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,054 Posts
Franks wording is good.
It is not bloating you need to worry on but Bloat.
The first is a full tum and wind.
The second is where there is a heavy load of food inside and movement can twist the stomach or intestines and close them off...leading to severe bloating and death.
From that point of view, with bigger dogs, more small meals a day is better then a couple of large ones.
Soaking the kibble can make it easier to digest and reduces the risk of them eating a boatload of dry food then drinking...which expands the food.
Try to keep to recommended amounts v his weight.... all dogs is greedy, some are just greedier then others and will eat at every opportunity.
Some of his food, keep back and use as treats when training

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,655 Posts
I was wondering if your dog is suffering a vitamin deficiency as its moving out of the young puppy stage causing it to have food cravings.

Changing to another type of food will not necessarily change eating habits as a bad habit once set in place is hard to break.

I have seen those food bowls too with several posts to make it more difficult to gobble the food in one go but again it doesn't break the habit bit it does slow the eating.

My wife got our Spaniel to slow its eating (they have a reputation for being gluttons too) by hand feeding it through a clenched hand and just letting the dog have a few nibbles at a time. Also feeding it in these exercises with hard food such as a stick of raw carrot which requires more crunching rather than swallowing whole. This exercise does require a lot of patience but eventually we were fortunate that it worked for our dog and she eats from the bowl normally now.

We feed our dogs three times a day ... a small breakfast .... an evening full dinner .... and a late supper of tasty treats (nibbles from our dinner plates).

Hope you find something that works for your dog.

Reactions: Scenic 11

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Franks wording is good.
It is not bloating you need to worry on but Bloat.
The first is a full tum and wind.
The second is where there is a heavy load of food inside and movement can twist the stomach or intestines and close them off...leading to severe bloating and death.
From that point of view, with bigger dogs, more small meals a day is better then a couple of large ones.
Soaking the kibble can make it easier to digest and reduces the risk of them eating a boatload of dry food then drinking...which expands the food.
Try to keep to recommended amounts v his weight.... all dogs is greedy, some are just greedier then others and will eat at every opportunity.
Some of his food, keep back and use as treats when training
Thanks for the correction. 3 meals I try to give (130gr, 100 gr and 130 gr for dinner), around 6 hours between each, also handfeed him a little before I go to sleep not to keep him hungry through the night. The m.f. even starts to shake when I start to put it to the bowl.

Soaking might help with slowing down but not chewing for sure, this is why I was thinking about larger kibbles but they are hard to find i believe.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was wondering if your dog is suffering a vitamin deficiency as its moving out of the young puppy stage causing it to have food cravings.

Changing to another type of food will not necessarily change eating habits as a bad habit once set in place is hard to break.

I have seen those food bowls too with several posts to make it more difficult to gobble the food in one go but again it doesn't break the habit bit it does slow the eating.

My wife got our Spaniel to slow its eating (they have a reputation for being gluttons too) by hand feeding it through a clenched hand and just letting the dog have a few nibbles at a time. Also feeding it in these exercises with hard food such as a stick of raw carrot which requires more crunching rather than swallowing whole. This exercise does require a lot of patience but eventually we were fortunate that it worked for our dog and she eats from the bowl normally now.

We feed our dogs three times a day ... a small breakfast .... an evening full dinner .... and a late supper of tasty treats (nibbles from our dinner plates).

Hope you find something that works for your dog.
Might be a case, last time when we were in vet, it was like 45 days ago, I am planning to go within 10 days and ask them to check. Last time they mentioned after 6th month, he will need vitamin supplements.

I added some pieces of carrots to his breakfast after you wrote and he had to chew to some point, i will do it for sometime and maybe it ll be helpful, thank you1

·
9,655 Posts
We are not keen on dry dog food but we do give our dogs a small bowl of dry or semi-moist chunks only for breakfast. For their main evening meal we give them tinned meaty dog food or cooked offal supplemented with a little fresh vegetables.
It doesn't make the toilet situation any worse but you do have some more washing up of pots and pans to do.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,270 Posts
have you tried rice..
its easy to cook, add cold water when it cools down, this will make your dog feel full...

·
4,276 Posts
A good friend and once Manageress of a dog rescue told us that “chappie” tinned dog food is perfect for greedy dogs or ones with sensitive tummies.
It’s really cheap (if available over there) and has such bland ingredients it won’t upset the tummy. This food was used all over the Yorkshire area to feed up rescued dogs that were malnourished and badly underweight.
As mentioned before dried food isn’t really good for a greedy dog due to the health implications if a large portion were to swell inside the animal. I kept Staffordshire Bull Terriers and one was greedy, their meals consisted of wet food (butchers tripe mix) with a handful of dry biscuit mixer (non swelling) and chopped raw vegetables (usually carrots and parsnips). Both dogs obviously got plenty of goodness from this as both were very muscular and strong examples of the breed that carried no fat.
The greedy dog was a younger one introduced to the family and actually mothered by the older non related one. She would try to eat her food then the older ones too, the older dog was too gentle to stop her. Within days of the older ones passing, she stopped eating fast altogether and would often eat during the night, hours after being fed.
If you have other animals, even cats, that have access to where your dog eats, this could be the problem. Some animals just refuse to share anything, even attention and behave like this to prevent them having to share their food. Similarly some dogs can even see children as competition for food and affection, feed the dog in an area the child doesn’t go and always try to include children and the dog together in play. If you notice the dog actively trying to hog all the attention, be careful, it could be jealous of the children and bite.
Hope this helps and everything turns out fine for you, don’t want to be the voice of doom but you can’t be too careful.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are not keen on dry dog food but we do give our dogs a small bowl of dry or semi-moist chunks only for breakfast. For their main evening meal we give them tinned meaty dog food or cooked offal supplemented with a little fresh vegetables.

It doesn't make the toilet situation any worse but you do have some more washing up of pots and pans to do.
I was told by 2 vets during first visits not to give him anything apart from high quality dry food for the first year but didnt bother to ask that time why. That s the reason i dont try other stuff except for meat with rice and carrots occasionally.

Maybe i ll go with rice with veggies for second meal od the day to see id it helps him calm down as ours2012 mentioned. I ll ask the vet if i can start slowly to give him some homemade stuff from time to time.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A good friend and once Manageress of a dog rescue told us that “chappie” tinned dog food is perfect for greedy dogs or ones with sensitive tummies.
It’s really cheap (if available over there) and has such bland ingredients it won’t upset the tummy. This food was used all over the Yorkshire area to feed up rescued dogs that were malnourished and badly underweight.
As mentioned before dried food isn’t really good for a greedy dog due to the health implications if a large portion were to swell inside the animal. I kept Staffordshire Bull Terriers and one was greedy, their meals consisted of wet food (butchers tripe mix) with a handful of dry biscuit mixer (non swelling) and chopped raw vegetables (usually carrots and parsnips). Both dogs obviously got plenty of goodness from this as both were very muscular and strong examples of the breed that carried no fat.
The greedy dog was a younger one introduced to the family and actually mothered by the older non related one. She would try to eat her food then the older ones too, the older dog was too gentle to stop her. Within days of the older ones passing, she stopped eating fast altogether and would often eat during the night, hours after being fed.
If you have other animals, even cats, that have access to where your dog eats, this could be the problem. Some animals just refuse to share anything, even attention and behave like this to prevent them having to share their food. Similarly some dogs can even see children as competition for food and affection, feed the dog in an area the child doesn’t go and always try to include children and the dog together in play. If you notice the dog actively trying to hog all the attention, be careful, it could be jealous of the children and bite.
Hope this helps and everything turns out fine for you, don’t want to be the voice of doom but you can’t be too careful.
We have got no other animals around and he lives in the garden alone. His water and food bowls are next to his dog house all the time and i try not to make him excited when i put the food. Only thing is that he needs to wait for me to say okay before he can start to eat ( sometimes he cant stand) so there is actually nothing or noone to compete with :)

this poor boy got separated from his ma when he was 3 weeks old. He is so jumpy and sensitive kind of dog. If i leave the garden he starts to cry and try to get to me, when i come back we hug for a minute before he calms down.

I ll start this rice veggie mix for the beginning and talk to our vet to enlarge the options if possible, thanks for the tips.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been to the vet yesterday and she said from looking at his belly that he s a little too thin ( 4 months and 18 kilograms!!) . I mentioned that i ve been giving him 10 20 percent more than whats written on the food pack ( she told me to follow the info on the pack before) so we decided that it s not enough :) of course he threw up again in the car but i was ready this time, putting a big blanket covering all back seat.

I also got confirmation that i can give him some homemade rice plus some veggies and turkey/chicken/beef/lamb mixture once a day. I already started after talking to you guys 1 week ago and he loves it of course, nothing better tham warm, nice smelling food.

I also give him half piece of a raw carrot and he bites and chews it for 5 10 minutes, i think its good for practise.

Hard to take care of a puppy, its like taking care of a toddler. Some sh.t passes another one comes. But he is so sweet that i forget about all after a hug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts