Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi well i got the hub back yesterday morning with the new bearing pressed in great so i thought!!!when i returned home i noticed that there was only one surclip on it when there should of been two and the one they forgot to put on was the one on the out side edge of the hub between it and the stub:steam: So i had to take it back for them to press the stub back out to put the surclip on BUT!!!wait for it when they were pressing it out the bearing split and the ball bearings went everywhere:steam: they cleaned and tryed to put it back together but the bearing is know as bad as ever so he is going to put it through as a warranty job for me and i just have to take the car up to him next week for this to be done:d BUT wait for it!!!!when i get the new bearing you also get a new nut for the end of the drive shaft so all is a tight fitting so it does not come lose i and only me have managed to cross thread it:( so i know need a new shaft:( at what cost i still do not know but my local motor factors do them so i will have to wait till Monday morning to find out and take the old one out to take to them for them to order the right one.As i said before thats know the ball joint,track rod arm,wheel bearing,drop link stabilizer,drive shaft,and iam still not convinced thats what the knock is:crazy: all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not good Donald, hope all is sorted out for you soon - not too costly either :)
Thanks sb i think its cost me around £150 so far and i think the shaft will be around £180 with my old shaft returned:steam: but i have only got myself to blame for that and the second bearing is going to put the through as a warranty claim through the garage and i believe he is going to fit it for free after they forgot to fit the surclip so happy days there.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Nightmare :crazy: Sorry to hear you're still having probs. It's good it's all going thru as a warranty job and the garage will re-do the work for free I suppose, but are you sure the thread on the shaft is completely past repair. Maybe a thread file could save the threads and save the cost of a shaft. Your local garage should have one of these lying around somewhere. I'd ask them nicely to have a wee look at it ... you never know, they might be able to save it for you.
I've got the brakes to do on mine & the Father-in-laws car tomorrow ..... I just hope I don't hit any major snags.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi Donald.

Sorry to hear your bearing swap is being a nightmare job.

As gonescenile say's take a look at the thread if only the first couple of turns are damaged take a file to it and remove them,keep trying the nut and hopefully you can save the driveshaft.

Good luck.

:) :)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi i will speak to Keith at the garage tomorrow and see if he can save the threads as i said its only the first 5:crazy: thanks for all your help cheers all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nightmare :crazy: Sorry to hear you're still having probs. It's good it's all going thru as a warranty job and the garage will re-do the work for free I suppose, but are you sure the thread on the shaft is completely past repair. Maybe a thread file could save the threads and save the cost of a shaft. Your local garage should have one of these lying around somewhere. I'd ask them nicely to have a wee look at it ... you never know, they might be able to save it for you.
I've got the brakes to do on mine & the Father-in-laws car tomorrow ..... I just hope I don't hit any major snags.
Hi god i do hope you have more luck than me but that will take some beating:d i have to say all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Sorry to hear of your ongoing Probs with the Bus Donald.

It's turning into a bit of a saga, I'm sure all will be well shortly and you will once more be mobile.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
keep plodding donald you will get there soon.
good luck.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that this is turning into a real labour of love.

You must regret ever bothering to investigate and repair in the first place.

That's the sort of luck I have with modern cars, so I just do the air & fluid checks and leave anything else to my mechanic mate.

Hope it will all work out soon - if you need any help or a lift to the supermarket - you've got my details.

Paul

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi me and my local garage have got there at long last this time for sure. They fixed the first couple of threads on the drive shaft which they said was not that bad so good news there:) They then got a new drive shaft nut from Renault this morning:) and proceeded to put it on and tighten it up for there still so be movement and a knock when the steering is rocked when the wheels are on the ground,they took the boot of the end of the steering rack to find that the inner ball joint in the steering rack boot has lots of play in it so luckily for me this can be changed on the Espace so there is one on order and is being fitted on Wednesday at the Garage:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) All that for this to be the problem if i have learned anything it is that i will be using my local garage from now on because this has sickened me:(

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice one Donald, glad to hear it's now gonna be sorted.:)
Cheers Scatz it has cost me the price of the parts £130 and £20 to have ther bearing pressed in i beleive the ball joint on the steering rack is around £30 + VAT and 1-2 hours labour so i cant wait to be driving again i hate those knocks and sqeeks so to speak so bring it on:)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Good news at last then eh :d

I managed to check the Honda over & all was well ..... and also managed to change front and rear pads on the bus .....
yes I took pics, so if I get a chance later I'll pop up a wee "how to"
However I did have to borrow a special tool to screw back the pistons in the rear calipers, which kinda makes it a bit difficult for your average Joe Bloggs

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Good news at last then eh :d

I managed to check the Honda over & all was well ..... and also managed to change front and rear pads on the bus .....
yes I took pics, so if I get a chance later I'll pop up a wee "how to"
However I did have to borrow a special tool to screw back the pistons in the rear calipers, which kinda makes it a bit difficult for your average Joe Bloggs
Great Stuff Gonescenile.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Otto yes at long last it should be on the road Wednesday tea time thank god.

Hi Russ good for you i believe the Nissan 200nx i had had pistons that required a tool for doing the brakes had to get the garage in Belfast at the time i lived there to do it only had the car a week or two got a mot failer list the length of the street and just could not afford it full stop, thats life;) so i sold it to some young lad:d with plenty of money around £1000?? to put it back on the road:crazy:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts