Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Very nice Donald...used to tow a Bessacar twin axle a few years back,changed to a campervan now.I have been busy over this weekend fitting it out with the tv and microwave,all sorted and ready for first trip. :) :)

(scrub the number plate in third pic.).

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Very nice Donald!:)

Have you been away in it over the weekend?

My Mum and Dad are heavily into their caravanning,but as yet I have resisted my wifes demands to get one,and I enjoy the tent we bought last year.:).I find it very difficult to relax and switch off,but when we go camping I do gradually calm down a bit,although the trip is never quite long enough!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very nice Donald...used to tow a Bessacar twin axle a few years back,changed to a campervan now.I have been busy over this weekend fitting it out with the tv and microwave,all sorted and ready for first trip. :) :)

(scrub the number plate in third pic.).
Thanks we were talking about a camper van but the caravan one hands down maybe when the kids have moved on in a few years we might go the van route,its great just to be able to get up and go some times it was well needed this weekend i feel much more relaxed than i did before i went away;)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice Donald!:)

Have you been away in it over the weekend?

My Mum and Dad are heavily into their caravanning,but as yet I have resisted my wifes demands to get one,and I enjoy the tent we bought last year.:).I find it very difficult to relax and switch off,but when we go camping I do gradually calm down a bit,although the trip is never quite long enough!
Hi Lag yes we are just back from Carnoustie its in between Dundee and Arbroath on the East coast we left last Thursday gave the kids the day off on Friday and they were off today and tomorrow for Teacher training.We Started camping, then two years back we had a run of bad luck with the weather when being away and went the caravan route and have never looked back,not every ones cup of tea but i have to say its more the wife than me but she cant drive to me being the Taxi Driver:d i just do as iam told:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Nice Donald, but are you a Time Lord as well as a forums member ? ..... or did you just forget to set the time and date on your digital camera?

:)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Looking good. That's one nice and shiny caravan. Ours looks nothing like that clean, and probably never will.

We took ours down to Telford for a long weekend (Thurday to Monday) and started ironing out all of the bugs. For a 'van that's in such good condition for its age, it certainly needs a lot of fiddly bits doing to it. About half of the window stays are broken and most of the cassette blinds need attention. I think there's a touch of delamination in the floor (been there and fixed that on a previous one, so I'm not worried.) The overrun brake damper is shot, and the water heater won't light on gas. Maybe I should haggle on the price :p

I also spent a good five minutes looking for the control panel for the blown air heating before realising that we don't have it :crazy:. Not that we used to use it anyway, but we'd left the convector heater in the old 'van and the first night was pretty chilly. We're stuck with a pump action toilet flush for the first time too, and I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade to electric. This was clearly a pretty basic spec model when it was new, but as long as it doesn't have the dreaded damp, I'm not that fussed.

Sorry to threadjack and ramble (as usual.)

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
I would have thought you might have hitched the other caravan in the pic to the back of your's Donald then you could have got a lot more choccy on board the wagon train :rofl: :rofl:
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking good. That's one nice and shiny caravan. Ours looks nothing like that clean, and probably never will.

We took ours down to Telford for a long weekend (Thurday to Monday) and started ironing out all of the bugs. For a 'van that's in such good condition for its age, it certainly needs a lot of fiddly bits doing to it. About half of the window stays are broken and most of the cassette blinds need attention. I think there's a touch of delamination in the floor (been there and fixed that on a previous one, so I'm not worried.) The overrun brake damper is shot, and the water heater won't light on gas. Maybe I should haggle on the price :p

I also spent a good five minutes looking for the control panel for the blown air heating before realising that we don't have it :crazy:. Not that we used to use it anyway, but we'd left the convector heater in the old 'van and the first night was pretty chilly. We're stuck with a pump action toilet flush for the first time too, and I'm wondering if it's possible to upgrade to electric. This was clearly a pretty basic spec model when it was new, but as long as it doesn't have the dreaded damp, I'm not that fussed.

Sorry to threadjack and ramble (as usual.)
Hi Hortatio my last van was a 1982 Eccles Topaz 5 berth with all the above problems and more:crazy: and it has been a big step up to the 2004 Lunar Chateau with one Belguim family before us and they well looked after it,they only had it for 12 months:confused: , it has a blow heater built in fridge,cooker with gas and electric Hob,microwave,hot water on gas electric and 12v electric and 12v flush toilet and a shower it has a built in double bed at the back permanently there with a double at the front when the dinner table is folded down it has also got a vanity sink halfway up the van for washing you face:d as well as one in the shower room and the kitchen sink it does not take long to empty that 40L Aqua Roll:d it also has build in water tank but only hodls 20L i can drink that after putting up the awning:rofl: a Bradcott sport,i have to say i will own this for many years to come i hope but thats not up to me thats the Bosses job:d She says i do:d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would have thought you might have hitched the other caravan in the pic to the back of your's Donald then you could have got a lot more choccy on board the wagon train :rofl: :rofl:
Regards Leroy
The back two seats were left at home to fill up the Espace with the choco:rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
That's a lot to cram into a 16 footer!

I can't find an actual diagram of ours, but here's a modern Bailey that's nearly the same length (ours is 18') and of identical layout except that ours has the old bench style toilet.

We tend to leave the rear area permanently made up as a double bed, but then The Grizzle sleeps in that bit, so muggins still has to make the front bunks into a bed every night anyway.

I've been doing a bit of digging around, and it seems the best thing to do with the toilet is to buy a 12v solenoid valve, hook it into the regular cold water supply, and basically ignore the toilet's built in flush tank altogether. I think I'll be looking into that.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a lot to cram into a 16 footer!

I can't find an actual diagram of ours, but here's a modern Bailey that's nearly the same length (ours is 18') and of identical layout except that ours has the old bench style toilet.

We tend to leave the rear area permanently made up as a double bed, but then The Grizzle sleeps in that bit, so muggins still has to make the front bunks into a bed every night anyway.

I've been doing a bit of digging around, and it seems the best thing to do with the toilet is to buy a 12v solenoid valve, hook it into the regular cold water supply, and basically ignore the toilet's built in flush tank altogether. I think I'll be looking into that.
Hi my motor flush water pump got stuck over the winter with no water in the fresh water tank under the toilet being emptyed when i took the inspection tank lid off all it was was a regular sealed water pump with wires running to it for the 12v flush apart from the warning light to let you know when its filled with Poo i would think it would be very esay to do there not much to it.its the very same as the fresh water lift at the front of the van,it makes you think what your paying for sometimes:crazy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts