Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Donington Park, the scene of Ayrton Senna's legendary victory in 1993, could be stepping up a bid to become the new home of the British Grand Prix from 2011.

Amid news that talks between Bernie Ecclestone and Silverstone executives are not going well, the Sunday Mirror reports that Donington may be positioning to poach the Formula One race.

The newspaper, lauding the Leicestershire circuit's 'motorway links and ease of access', said talks 'are under way between local landowners' and a 'highly placed' figure of the Grand Prix world.

:MORE @ http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/25052008/58/donington-british-gp-bid.html

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Donnington would be a good replacement should we see the day that Silverstone get's removed from the racing calender. As long as there is at least 1 British GP i'll be happy.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Donnington would be a good replacement should we see the day that Silverstone get's removed from the racing calender. As long as there is at least 1 British GP i'll be happy.
Trouble is that Donington needs as much work as Silverstone, maybe more. The problem is cash

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i said the other day that i would be sad to see us loose the British GP but a move would not be a bad thing but as you say pat its more about money iam sure the fat cats will find a compromise,i hope,cheers Donald

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi i said the other day that i would be sad to see us loose the British GP but a move would not be a bad thing but as you say pat its more about money iam sure the fat cats will find a compromise,i hope,cheers Donald
I'm sure they will Don, Bernie likes the BRDC to touch forelock once in a while

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Donnington is a good circuit,although as Pat says,it would need a massive amount of investment to get it up to Bernies standards.The MotoGP boys complained about it,and they race just about anywhere,so I dread to think what the F1 people would think about it at the moment.

The track's not really long enough for F1 either,so it would need a new complex added to it,but I'd rather they messed about with Donny than Brands Hatch.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The F1 boys would sh1t their pants if they had to race at Oulton or Knockhill.:rofl:

Bring them to Thruxton......a proper fast circuit.:d

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Or Castle Combe....:rofl:

Is Rockingham still going or has that all fallen apart now?.I don't hear much about it now.:eek:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know TBH, it's been very quiet. I think you can do track days there, but I don't think that they hold any serious events.....

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
what about a street event like monaco?

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Ecclestone in talks with Donington Park

:MORE @http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/68425

Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has upped the pressure on Silverstone to come up with a deal to secure the future of British Grand Prix, by revealing he is also in talks with Donington Park about moving the race there.

Ecclestone and Silverstone's owners, the British Racing Drivers' Club, are in deadlock in discussions about a deal that will keep the race at the Northamptonshire track from 2010.

But with little movement on that front, Ecclestone revealed to The Times this morning that he was looking at alternative possibilities - and even claimed he would prefer it if Donington Park could put a deal together.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tilke visits Donington

F1's usual circuit designer Hermann Tilke has apparently visited Donington Park in contemplation of a major upgrade to the Leicestershire circuit.

Although derided by some, it has been claimed that the venue, scene of Ayrton Senna's legendary victory in 1993, is stepping up a bid to become the new home of the British Grand Prix if Silverstone drops off the annual F1 schedule.

Faced with the reality that Donington is in even more dire need of renovation than Silverstone, however, F1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone said last month: "I think there is more chance of Donington having the money (to do it) than the BRDC."

German designer Tilke's company Tilke GmbH, and Donington Park, did not comment on the latest rumours.

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080701100709.shtml

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
F1's usual circuit designer Hermann Tilke has apparently visited Donington Park in contemplation of a major upgrade to the Leicestershire circuit.

Faced with the reality that Donington is in even more dire need of renovation than Silverstone, however, F1 Chief Executive Bernie Ecclestone said last month: "I think there is more chance of Donington having the money (to do it) than the BRDC."

:MORE @http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/080701100709.shtml
That to me says it isn't about how much money it is going to cost at all then. Surely it would make sense to use the more cost effective method by doing up Silverstone rather than spending fortunes on another circuit.:confused:

1 - 20 of 129 Posts