Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some strange reason my drivers side door wont lock after fitting some new speakers to the front doors of my clio! Fitted speakers to both doors and the passenger door is fine?! Any ideas of what it might be or if there is a bad connection somewhere?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
For some strange reason my drivers side door wont lock after fitting some new speakers to the front doors of my clio! Fitted speakers to both doors and the passenger door is fine?! Any ideas of what it might be or if there is a bad connection somewhere?

Thanks
My guess is that you need to take the door card off and check that you have not dislodges something in the mechanism. You may even be able to see through the speaker hole if it's big enough:d

·
Diamond dismember
326 Posts
Do you hear the lock mechanism make noise in the driver's door when you hit the lock button?
In that case, the above mentioned theory of dislodged mechanism components would be the first place to look.

If no noise, it's possible the locking motor doesn't receive power when triggered.
In that case, something must've happened to the wiring.
Did you go with the existing speaker wires, or did you fit a better pair?

Either way, removing the door card for a look won't hurt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont hear a thing when i lock the car. What i thought it might have been was the contacts in the connector had corroded so i took them and fitted new connectors but still nothing! Ive tested the ends of the wires and im getting a current when i press the key fob so I don't think its a problem with the wiring. I went to a scrappy's today to get a new lock, tried it and it still didn't work! However i was having a look about and was wondering if it could be this button (black bit at the bottom of the pic) that has failed and so the lock doesn't think the door is shut.... Im really not sure, literally just clutching at straws! What do you think:

Thanks for your help so far!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to add, i can sit in the car with all the doors shut and press the door lock button. The boot and the passenger side lock but the drivers side doesnt..... The weird bit however is that when the drivers door is opened it breaks the lock on all the other doors? Is that all that black switch is doing? I really dont understand whats going on and why even with a new motor it still wont lock! Its really annoying because im worried to take the car out knowing that it wont lock properly! Any suggestions welcome, even if its just what all the different parts of the mechanism are and what they do would be good! I.e whats linked to what!

Thanks

·
Diamond dismember
326 Posts
Forgot to add, i can sit in the car with all the doors shut and press the door lock button. The boot and the passenger side lock but the drivers side doesnt.
Let me get this straight:
You can still open the driver's door from the outside, even after pressing the lock button on the remote key, or just from the inside?
If just from the inside, try pressing the lock button twice in rapid succession, as that could activate a double locking feature.
When double locking isn't activated, you should still be able to open the doors from the inside.

The weird bit however is that when the drivers door is opened it breaks the lock on all the other doors? Is that all that black switch is doing?
Opening the driver's door unlocks all the other doors, is expected behaviour.
I actually found it quite handy, once I got used to it, especially when picking up friends and so on.

The black ajar switch is meant to turn on the courtesy lights, if the switch for it is set to the door sense (usually middle) position.
If the light comes on when opening any of the passenger doors, but not the driver's door, it's either broken, or there's a loose connection to it somewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sorry ive explained that really badly!

Basically when im outside the car and press the key fob to lock the car the drivers door does not lock.

Ive checked im getting a current to the motor which i am however its only 0.2A which seams abit low so im going to test the passanger side today and compare.

ive also changed the whole motor unit and the door will still not lock.

I think the first port of call will be to check how much current the passanger side lock is getting and if its greater than 0.2A then i have a short circuit somewhere!

Thanks

·
Diamond dismember
326 Posts
The next thing I'd do is disconnect the mechanical end off the motor, leave the electric end connected, and observe if it then outputs any movement.
(When doing so, remember to close the door. This should be possible with the door card removed too.)

If the motor outputs movement when locking, there's some mechanical resistance somewhere in your door.

If it doesn't, you'll know it's electric straight away.
In that case, there could be another source of resistance along the wiring back to the UCH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts