Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I’m new here only joined today sorry if this thread has been on here before
I have a megane 1.5 dci mk3 shape the osf driveshaft needs changing I’ve purchased new shaft complete with cv/gaiters etc £69.95
Been quoted £48 labour inc vat 1 hours work to have fitted.
Sound good to you guys?

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
1,958 Posts
Same as my garage charges. You won't get cheaper.
Considering the hassle involved (I've done 2 and wouldn't do another) a bargain. assuming it's a firm price- 1 hour strikes me as optimistic.
I assume you are sure the fault is in the driveshaft- I replaced one unnecessarily (loose wheel nuts, but worn driveshaft diagnosed by AA).

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,656 Posts
It's about an hours job and price is loads cheaper then many franchises/dealers.
If you know what you are doing and prepared to get hands dirty and cold, DIY, otherwise sounds good.
Do you know the mechanic/garage?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same as my garage charges. You won't get cheaper.
Considering the hassle involved (I've done 2 and wouldn't do another) a bargain.
I assume you are sure the fault is in the driveshaft- I replaced one unnecessarily (loose wheel nuts, but worn driveshaft diagnosed by AA).
Hi
Thankyou for quick reply
Had the mot 2 weeks ago only advisory gaiter split on driveshaft osf plus I’ve noticed a slight vibration coming from osf area so I’m assuming it’s the shaft
Another garage quoted me supply/fit all in inc vat £195 so the above price I was happy with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's about an hours job and price is loads cheaper then many franchises/dealers.
If you know what you are doing and prepared to get hands dirty and cold, DIY, otherwise sounds good.
Do you know the mechanic/garage?
Hi
Yes have used them before its roughly walking distance from my house so easy to drop off plus unlike a lot of garages these days they are ok with me to supply the part for them to fit unlike a lot who will only supply/fit themselves
The part which is from a co on eBay were so cheap £69.95 plus no exchange basis which helps.

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
1,958 Posts
Hi
Thankyou for quick reply
Had the mot 2 weeks ago only advisory gaiter split on driveshaft osf plus I’ve noticed a slight vibration coming from osf area so I’m assuming it’s the shaft
Another garage quoted me supply/fit all in inc vat £195 so the above price I was happy with.
The driveshaft joints are tested so I'd have expected any wear to have been at least an advisory and probably a fail. Driveshaft wear is more of a "clonk" or rattle than a vibration. Still you already have the part and it's not much more work than just renewing a gaiter so you're not losing much.
Just don't be too surprised if it doesn't fix the vibration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Driveshaft update
All fitted with no problems plus the vibration noise has gone thank god
Driveshaft -£69.95 inc vat
Labour-£48 inc vat
Mechanic told me just over an hours work
Cheers for the advice earlier guys(y)

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
1,958 Posts
Thanks for reporting back, well done. Very reasonable and a very efficient mechanic- look after him.
The joints usually wear but it could have been damaged and picked up a rattle from the imbalance. Anyway who cares.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts