Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I hope someone can help!
I put my Scenic 1.4rt 2000 in for an MOT and told them about a noise I had been hearing (like a knocking noise from below the car when accelerating around a corner although It does not happen all the time).
The car failed the MOT due to excessive play in nearside lower ball joint. They said that could be the cause of the noise.
The nearside ball joint and suspension arm (due to corrosion) were renewed however I am still hearing the same noise.
I went back to the garage and they are now saying the noise could be the result of a slightly worn driveshaft but it was nothing to worry about and I should let them know if it gets any louder or happens more frequently.
Is this the case or should I do something about it now.
I was quoted £100 per driveshaft
I don't have a clue about cars so any info would be appreciated :confused:
Many thanks

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi yes it sounds very like the drive shaft cv joint i would tend to leave it myself or even have the cv boot repacked with new grease but getting mechanics to do this will be a hard job as many would rather just replace the shaft,if does get any loader and happens more often than not i would have it changed,you are talking about 1 to 2 hours labour and the cost of the new shaft,my Espace was doing the same thing and i repacked it with new grease and hay presto never looked back since i hope this helps Donald

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drive shaft

Hi Donald,

Sorry to but in on this thread but thought it better than starting a new one.

My 98s 20RTX auto Espace has broken down. The wife herd a loud bang sounded like "a tyre bursting" she said.

The engine starts fine but when you engage any of the gears you get a whirling sound but do not move Powering steering is fine.

I thought it was the gear box! My mechanic says it is the drive shaft.

While I trust my mechanic ( so why am I asking this question?) I do not understand as the car I think has two drive shafts.

If one drive shaft is broken why does the other one still drive a wheel? does the LSD come into play?

Any ideas?

Tony

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
If one shaft fails the drive is not transmitted to the other shaft because of the way the differential works, all the drive goes to the failed shaft.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My mechanic has finally removed the drive shaft which is ok'ish. He say's it is the the teeth in the geabox which recieve the drive shaft that have broken.

Does any one know if this can be replaced ? Is it a simple procedure? Does the gearbox need to be removed?

Many thanks,

Tony

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I can highly recommend TES,I have mentioned them on the forum before.They are a company local to me and really are absolute gearbox gods!.Their knowledge and know how on autoboxes is particluarly impressive.:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi there
In my first post in this thread I said that I had been told that my driveshaft was slightly worn.
I now have a loud drone noise and a slight vibration coming from below the drivers foot panel. This happens when i decelerate when going over 40mph. would this be related or something completely different.:confused:

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

·
Administrator
21,719 Posts
Hi there
In my first post in this thread I said that I had been told that my driveshaft was slightly worn.
I now have a loud drone noise and a slight vibration coming from below the drivers foot panel. This happens when i decelerate when going over 40mph. would this be related or something completely different.:confused:

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
This could be a wheel bearing that is on its way out. Same thing happened to me on my old Laguna.. only got the noise over 30 mph- but no vibration.

Regards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts