Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, took the kids out in the espace today, noticed a hard wobble from the car at around 40mph, couldn`t feel it through steering either... I was going to make a post for help on the problem when I got home... However we didn`t get home :steam:

Pulled away from a roundabout fairly hard and BANG..

Result: =

I guess I need a new tripod & bearings providing the rest of the shaft is ok!

Any idea on the price of these parts ?
I really hope this was the inital cause of the wobble/vibration !!

Only had the car a couple of weeks, but apart from the problems, I`m kinda getting attached to it :crazy:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hiya

I had to change both my driveshafts last year, dealers prices will leave your pocket very light. I got them from a local car parts who got me reconditioned ones for £150 each plus my old ones in exchange.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its not as bad as it looks mate.

I replaced mine about 6 nonths ago.
Shop around your local motor factors and you shouldn't have to pay anymore than £50 +vat for a service exchange replacement.
The inner CV joint is held onto the gearbox spline shaft with a hardend roll pin (which has probably crumbled. They usually do) So you will need the right size of punch to remove whats left.
The ball joints usually split fairly easily so you can get the whole thing on the bench and remove whats left of the drive shaft. (Remember to undo the bearing nut before removing from car)
The new shaft will probaby have 2 roll pins. One fits inside the other. I use the outer one first and drive in half way to secure alignment then insert the inner one with the split at 180degrees to the other and drive both fully home. Careful though cos its dead easy to bend the pins with your hammer!
Use a torque wrench to set the wheel bearing nut (sorry I cant remember how many lb/ft)
While you're at it. A check of the other shaft might be wise!
Good luck.

Peter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies :cool:

Managed to get a drive shaft from my local car spares shop, in exchange for my old one for £52.50p

I didn`t have to worry about the hole punch as someone had already replaced it with a nut & bolt :crazy:

The hub/bearing nut was VERY tight, I broke 1 rachet trying to undo it, I had to use my torque wrench with a 5ft pole on the end !

Just need to fit it now, its mega freezing out there lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts