Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi good people

Im off on a trip to France in a few weeks time and was after any advise about driving there etc.

Regards

John

·
Administrator
13,051 Posts
Check the rules on tyres and lights. I know you have to carry spare light bulbs with you at all times in case you have a broken lightbulb. As far as I am aware the police can make you change the bulb if they see one out. If you get a puncture you are supposed to have the same type of tyre on as the opposite side. So if you go to a garage to get it repaired and they don't have the same make of tyre you have to get two.. one for each side! :eek: My dad got caught out by this. My advice is to make sure you spare is good.

Hope some of this helps! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
Don't get caught speeding Etc. In France, Gendarmes can confiscate your licence at the roadside, without carrying it you may not drive. Recovery companies DO NOT cover this as it is self inflicted.
You need Hi Vi jackets (Gilet) in the car, not the boot.
Most put them over the back of the seats, "Les Cochons" look out for GB plates for an easy nicking for not having them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi John,
You are doing the right thing by doing some research, French roads are amazingly different to British roads. Its no wonder they kill at twice our rate. I have been over a few times of late and always have trouble whoever drives.

Firstly get the best sat-nav you can afford, it will save a lot of trouble. Main road intersections tend to use clover-leaf slip roads, so you loose your sense of direction in seconds. Also it will help with the speed limits.

Plan your route to minimise the complexity of route and to avoid heavy traffic.

Enjoy and good luck.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/driving-abroad-whats-new-2012.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
take care going through towns and villages if you see a sign that is a yellow diamond inside a white one with a black line through it means cars entering the carriageway have right of way not you even though you're on the main road. Also remember a stripey shirt and a beret

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
You need a breathalyser to. They have relaxed the punishment but you are still supposed to carry one if not two.

·
Premium Member
6,369 Posts
I think the topic has been up before usually in the summertime :)
I wonder could you get a driving lic in the name of Charles Calthrop ..perhaps not such a good idea :)(ref to the 1973 movie)

decision decisions

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
To add to the above post. One commits the offence even if speed camera locations are only shown on the English maps.
Andy, I think the breathalyser law was repealed. (Do check), due to it being a money making scam for the producers. Some sellers are still trying to get people who are not aware, to buy them on the boat.
Unlike here, There's a lot less signage, for instance the 50 KPH speed limit starts at the village sign & ends when there is another with a red line through it, unless another village starts. There are NO reminder signs.
Gendarmes have been known to fine English & ignore French speeders in the same line of traffic.
Watch out for hand made roadside signs "Boue", MUD or smellier.
"Gravillons" gravel.
Please don't let this diatribe put you off, we've done thousands of French miles on 2 wheels & 4 without trouble. Learn a bit of "la langue". The most welcoming of the areas are IMHO Brittany, Normandy & all Coast from Calais South. Mainly because they hear so much French spoken with an English Accent.
Enjoy your Holiday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts