Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone can give me an idea as to what could be wrong with my Clio 182. There is a droning noise when driving which seems to get worse when turning to the left. The noise is similar to a shot wheel bearing but all the wheel bearings seem fine as there is no play in them. There's also a power steering fluid leak but I don't know if that's related, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Andy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does it only make the noise when turning? as even without the leak I would have said check the power steering fluid for level, if level ok the fluid may need replacing.

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise is always there it just gets louder when turning to the left and fades away when turning to the right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
just had a problem like this with my clio as well, intermittant noise, o/s front wheel

the cv joint is on its way out as its squeaking and knocking when turning corners - got to save up for that! but it doesnt make much noise when just driving normally, only round tight bends. i also had to have a rubber boot replaced as one had gone totally brittle and blown grease everywhere so the joint was dry

i also thought i had bearing noise on the front, but the garage said it was fine - turns out caliper slider pins were getting hot and sticking on the disc, wasnt expensive to sort, but it has made 2 grooves so the discs will want doing eventually which is annoying!

ive ALSO [flipping heck.....] just had to replace n/s rear bearing, which was actually rumbling and making a racket at high speed, cost me £70... not too bad....:confused:

few things for you to check there, if theres nothing wrong with bearing i would be looking at cv joint and brakes?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that gives me a few things to check, thanks for the replies. I think I've spent more time under this car than in it! Lol

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Deciding that a wheel bearing is OK by checking for free-play is useless,it sounds like you do have a wheel bearing gone and that you need to jack up each wheel in turn and spin them and listen for any noise/roughness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Casper, your symptoms are exactly the same as mine, did you find the fault. I just replaced the bearing and it made no difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts