Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove 2010 2.0D trafic through quite deep water about 40cm slow speed, 1st gear revs up slightly. Got out other side spluttering misfiring service light and check injectors lit up. After about 1/2 mile of OMG misfiring subsided and continued journey but no turbo and limited to 2750 revs. Later at home after driving in "limp mode" for 8 miles, turned off restarted absolutely ok.

Question is wtf happened was is water in turbo intake, can that happen without killing the engine.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,840 Posts
Water likely to have got into electrics somewhere, even a splash in the wrong place can cause issues.
Which could caused misfire and put it into limp mode.
Turning off and restarting seems to have sorted it.
But keep an eye open for any repeats.

Unlikely that any significant water got into turbo but not impossible.
I would check state of air filter though...if that got wet it would block and that could also have caused your issue.

Had any significant amount of water gone through the turbo and into the pots, you would have suffered far worse then a misfire that cleared. Something like a teaspoon of water can be enough to hydrolock an engine.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,387 Posts
How high is the exhaust tailpipe from the floor?
The whole system could have had a thermal shock not to mention the various sensors.
The clutch bellhousing could have taken a soaking as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had been through the "puddle" 5mins earlier but had to turn back finding a monster puddle. Nice steady slow speed through. Haven't checked air filter yet will do later today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Engine side" ie top of air filter soaked and filter 700gms heavier than new one. Fair to say I feel my problem was that although no water in engine the filter being soaked probably choked the engine making it fire poorly. And as it dried a little began to run better?
But I'm no mechanic!!

·
25,840 Posts
That'll do it.
The water in the filter will have been blocking air flow and shedding water into the engine, which further reduces the volume of air.
I assume that you changed the filter?
If not, do so, the water as it dries would form a paste with any dust in the filter, clogging it.

·
25,840 Posts
Fair play.
When you think on it, you dodged a bullet.
If that 0.7ltr had gone through into the cylinders, you would likely be looking for a new engine.
And it was likely that it was a lot more then that when you first hit the puddle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Curiously went through the same water same speed but lower gear...figuring the extra revs albeit small must have drawn water up the hose...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts