Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hi, most of you all know i was thinking about owning my own Kit Car, its just to let you all know that i WAS looking for a kit car second hand or even unfinished project and things were going to smooth the last few weeks had found myself a unfinished project that could of been mine,Heres the BUT,You all know ive only got one and half legs:d so a manual box is out the question and DVLA told me a few years back that i have to drive a Auto with my left leg to work the brake and gas pedals hence way a drive a Auto Espace but they did say to me that i could drive a Manual with hand control but i would have to apply first so i did 9 weeks ago but it has came back as NO :steam: :( there decision is final so finding a kit car with a Auto box:crazy: unless i develop it myself so it back to the drawing board i guess this going to be hard i know i can do it but at what cost:confused: all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sorry to hear that Donald.:(

If you found something simple that used a Ford Pinto or V6 engine,then an auto conversion would be reasonably straight foward,the trouble is that most auto boxes are bl00dy heavy and I'm not sure if some kits could cope with the extra weight.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Yeah, sorry to hear that Don. Good luck with it though, I hope you find a solution.

By the way, I'll post your circuit tester back tomorrow. Thanks again for the lend.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear that Donald.:(

If you found something simple that used a Ford Pinto or V6 engine,then an auto conversion would be reasonably straight foward,the trouble is that most auto boxes are bl00dy heavy and I'm not sure if some kits could cope with the extra weight.
Hi yes your totaly right in what you are saying,the other thing is do you not need ??a ecu aswell to run these bloody boxes its cost lag iam like most people its what i can afford

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
How about one that runs a motorcycle engine and box?It being a sequential shift,you could have a hand clutch?(which you wouldn't need for changing up,anyway.:))

Any good?:eek:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, sorry to hear that Don. Good luck with it though, I hope you find a solution.

By the way, I'll post your circuit tester back tomorrow. Thanks again for the lend.
Hi Scatz that great dont feel you have to send it stait back i hope you have got to the bottom of you problem all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Older auto boxes are purely mechanical.They made an auto Mk.5 Cortina with a Pinto and that had no electronics.The early V6 Grannies would be the same.

It's finding a good one that would be a problem now......:(

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about one that runs a motorcycle engine and box?It being a sequential shift,you could have a hand clutch?(which you wouldn't need for changing up,anyway.:))

Any good?:eek:
This is sounding great Lag ive followed the bikes for years but would never own one as i would not be here today i feel so thats way i never bought or own one but i have to say iam know thinking about the lightest and smallest frame i can know find

SMART THINKING;) :)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Bad news :( I had a sneaking suspicion that this would be a major pitfall.

There aren't many kit cars about with auto boxes, but my aforementioned friend has one of those too (yes, that's three kit cars in total - I think that's the lot, so I'm not about to spring any more on you.) It's an NCF Diamond, which I believe is built on a Granada as the donor, and in his case, I'm pretty sure it's an automatic. It's not your average kit car though - it's a dirty great 4x4 style vehicle (though I'm not sure if it's actually four wheel drive.)

He was making noises about scrapping it the last time I spoke to him, so I don't know if he even still has it. But if you're not averse to a finished project that might need some work doing on it, then I could give him a call and see if it's available for sale.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bad news :( I had a sneaking suspicion that this would be a major pitfall.

There aren't many kit cars about with auto boxes, but my aforementioned friend has one of those too (yes, that's three kit cars in total - I think that's the lot, so I'm not about to spring any more on you.) It's an NCF Diamond, which I believe is built on a Granada as the donor, and in his case, I'm pretty sure it's an automatic. It's not your average kit car though - it's a dirty great 4x4 style vehicle (though I'm not sure if it's actually four wheel drive.)

He was making noises about scrapping it the last time I spoke to him, so I don't know if he even still has it. But if you're not averse to a finished project that might need some work doing on it, then I could give him a call and see if it's available for sale.
Hi Horatio thanks for that but no need iam going to go down the road of some type of kit car frame like Caterham and look into the Motor bike Engine a big beast of thing iam going to keep my Fingers XXXX there has to be someone like me doing this or even just using a bike engine interesting thanks again all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yep us Scots are an inventive lot, I'm sure you will come up with a resolution to your problem Donald .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep us Scots are an inventive lot, I'm sure you will come up with a resolution to your problem Donald .

Regards

Ottoman
Well thank you Otto, no i hate to be beat they have won the 1st round but ian going to win the fight:d ;)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Either Caterham or Westfield(I forget which one) built a Seven kit with two Suzuki Hayabusa 1300cc engines in it with the sequential shift......needless to say,it went rather well.:rolleyes:0-60 in around 3 seconds if I remember rightly.:eek:

Good luck Donald.:)

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
donald have you though of ditching the kit car idea and going the whole hog with the bike thing and getting a trike ?my nephew recently built one out of a honda 550 and a reliant robin back axle dont need a bike licence up to about 750 i think worth a look !? or what aboutone of those mad kits to put a bike engine in a mini lad at work has one engine froma hayabusa in the back 120bhp rear wheel drive mini its a riot lol !
good luck what ever happens

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Either Caterham or Westfield(I forget which one) built a Seven kit with two Suzuki Hayabusa 1300cc engines in it with the sequential shift......needless to say,it went rather well.:rolleyes:0-60 in around 3 seconds if I remember rightly.:eek:

Good luck Donald.:)
Fu** me ive got goose pimples on the neck thinking about this beast iam going to create:d :) ;) Happy Days

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
donald have you though of ditching the kit car idea and going the whole hog with the bike thing and getting a trike ?my nephew recently built one out of a honda 550 and a reliant robin back axle dont need a bike licence up to about 750 i think worth a look !? or what aboutone of those mad kits to put a bike engine in a mini lad at work has one engine froma hayabusa in the back 120bhp rear wheel drive mini its a riot lol !
good luck what ever happens
Hi i have to say all the big cc's are sounding great but i would rather have 4 wheels but i may have to go that route we will see thanks all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It look very like most kit cars with Motor bike engine are mid drift placed if you know a mean if i have to lose the second seat that would also be great NO WIFE to nag me when iam drifting:d

1 - 20 of 27 Posts