Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ok the problem is my printer is going through all the motions but the paper is blank when it comes out what ever colour i print,the way my printer works is it has 4 colours Magenta,Cyan,Yellow,Black and i beleive it uses more than 1 colour even when printing Black,This is the but i have run out off 2 inks but the computer is telling me there is some still left when there wasn't:steam: OK is this what is causing my problem of blank paper when it comes out,you help would be great thanks Donald.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
My Epson Photo 895 used to do this all the time. Fortunately, the R300 is a lot better, though I've had a problem with it once.

There are two functions that you need, that you'll probably be able to get to from the front panel on a modern Epson, though the older and more basic ones might need you to run them from the PC printer driver instead. The first is 'head cleaning' and the second is 'nozzle pattern check'

Run head cleaning and then the pattern check. The pattern check should show you that each nozzle for each colour is working - if any are still blocked/empty, then it will be clear from missing parts in the pattern. Repeat the head cleaning and pattern check until it clears (I've known it to take over a dozen cycles) though bear in mind that each head cleaning operation wastes a fair amount of ink, so I'll often let it go if I can see that only one or two nozzles are still blocked. They free off on their own after a while anyway and generally don't seem to noticeably affect the print quality.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi yes i thought that was going to be the way to go forward i will get ink in the morning and repeat these steps i normaly do it once a week anywhy,so is that what the epson does if you run out of 1 or more of there colours it starts to put blank paper out after going through all the motions of printing it to be blank and not a mention of this in the problem section in there manual cheers mate i would give you some reps but you have had some lately of me but i will not forget thanks Donald.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I know how they should behave when they run out of any colour - they should stop printing and refuse to continue until you've replaced the empty cartridges. Then again, if it still thinks that the empties have ink in them, I suppose all bets are off.

I've only had the R300 run dry the once, though it was at the worst possible time. I was printing out loads of photos from a memory card (couldn't be bothered going to Asda, which would have been the sensible thing to do) and two of the colours ran out mid-print. Now when I've had a colour run out before, the printer has stopped printing mid-batch and asked me to change cartridges. This time, it instead decided to waste a whole load of proper 15x10 Epson photo paper by churning out a load of images with colours missing :crazy:

It took quite a few head cleans and pattern tests to recover it too. When the cartridges run dry, there should still be some ink left in the head - if you actually run the head dry, then that's when your problems seem to start.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Horatio thanks for that i will keep you posted once i get the ink cartridges in this morning all the best Donald.

i was printing birthday pics for the family typical:steam:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi well done about 10 or more nozzle cleans and checks but still the same i installed new driver no change, so i will leave it over night an see what it is like in the morning if still the same its GOING in the bin and i will buy a new one Epson 5050 styles its the same as the last but has a photo screen on it as well £58:) the lad at my computer shop said its the ink jet, he has had many the same and can fix it for£40+£10 to look at it first so at £50 whats the point BIN IT.

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
I gave up on my Epson 2 years back when after another paper jam a plastic belt in the dive bar snapped. Replacement not available.
I brought a Canon Pixma ip4000 and have not looked back.
Dual paper trays, 5 ink tanks (level measured by light beam not chip so about £8 each), ink lasts ages and we use it a lot.
Have to say best printer I brought, it's also photo quality and looks nice.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi Donald, sorry to hear about your printer problems, for my birthday in April the wifey got me a Lexmark all in one P4350 for £39.50 which has scanner, printer, fax, and photo card readers from the local Asda store and seems to be up till now really good. Also the main Post Offices in our area are doing good prices for similar products, I may be a bit biased because the 500 + printers we use at work are all Lexmark, but this is my third one now and apart from the cost of replacement ink cartridges for which every manufacturer overcharges for I'm quite happy with the brand.
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi lads thanks very much its either pay money for a cheap printer and expensive cartridges or expensive printer and buy cheaper cartridges i will let you all know what i decide in the next few days but i guess is iam going back to Epson???? way iam unsure to be honest i have a lexmark factory 30 foot from my house and they have just payed off 300 workers but the aftercare service department is still open and i can buy them really cheap and cartridges from them aswell for next to nothing but i still like Epson but way because i should not,we will see cheers Donald.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As long as you're happy and it does what you want
Hi Chris yes it has never ever gave me a problem for 14 months until now but i would of been that bit happier with another year before i up graded but nothing is build these days to last and i can tel you it never ever had abuse from me unless it was a Saturday night;) :d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi well i have used another 4 cartridges this morning doing all its checks for blank paper to come out the other end of the feeder BLANK:steam: so it is getting binned:( :steam: :crazy: The laptop that i have just bought had a option of a extra £20 and a printer sold with it but i said no as i already had one but hay hindsight is a wonderful thing:steam: :mad: i will just have to put my hands in my pockets and buy another but iam not sure there will be anything in them:d all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I gave up on my Epson 2 years back when after another paper jam a plastic belt in the dive bar snapped. Replacement not available.
I brought a Canon Pixma ip4000 and have not looked back.
Dual paper trays, 5 ink tanks (level measured by light beam not chip so about £8 each), ink lasts ages and we use it a lot.
Have to say best printer I brought, it's also photo quality and looks nice.
Hi Chris where and how much did you pay for this machine if you do not mind me asking, you can private message me if you like with details your help would be great cheers mate.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update

Hi the 4800 is in the garage for spares:d well as i said before i would not pay £8 for a Epson cartridge each and the DX4800 takes 4 Black,Magenta,Cyan,Yellow and i can buy another brand from Universal computing any 8 for £20 so i bought another Epson Stylus but the DX4050 this time£39.99 from Curry's the only difference is this one dose not have the slots built into it for SD cards but i never used it any i just bluetooth my photos or us USB so all in iam happy again and its still a inkjet printer,Scanner,Fax and its all working with my Vista laptop and the home XP so there you go all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good thinking Donald,

Regards

Ottoman
Hi it will probely be the same bit that brakes down knowing my luck:d The boy today asked me if i would like extended warranty i just said no because i do not use the epson cartridges and that voids the warranty anyway and at £39.99 whats the point

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yep, Tho you just put the originals on prior to returning it Donald ;) Just make sure they are not empty.

They make considerably more from an extended warranty than they do from the printer, I do not believe in purchasing extended warranty's, I buy most of my large electronic items from John Lewis where their warranties are considerably longer and the item price is very competitive and they also do a price promise...

Regards

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi yes i think i might just do that take them inks out and seal them up and start using the others just in case but i think i just had bad luck with that one i bought the pig in a poke:d :d cheers Otto

1 - 19 of 19 Posts