Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

My husband was driving to work the other day when the steering completed locked up on him & up came a message saying 'stop car immediately'. Luckily he was on a straight bit of dual carriageway & managed to stop safely as the wheel wouldn't turn at all. Local dealership has quoted £1800 for new steering column & computer replacement. It's just outside of the 3 year warranty (full service history) & after contacting head office, they've agreed to pay half of the amount.

I would like to hear from anyone that's had a similar experience & lived to tell the tale! We live on a very twisty coastal road & if it had happened 10 minutes earlier in the journey, he would have certainly been killed, or could very easily have killed others. Should we thank our lucky stars & settle for a £900 bill or go to Watchdog & make a bigger fuss. This seems to me to be quite a catastrophic systems failure for a 3 year old car. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Anna_L

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Anna.

Thankfully no one was hurt in this incident, But it must have gave you quite a scare.

Can you give us a bit more info, What kind of car you drive, Year, engine size manual or auto ...

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I am guessing this is a Megane II. The columns of the early cars are a little unreliable..
However paying dealer prices is not good so luckily BBA Re-man can suppl a refurbished column for £650 or they may repair your own unit.

See them here Renault Megane Electronic Power Steering

BBA Reman
Unit 9, Sabre Court
Gillingham Business Park
Gillingham
ME8 0RW(Road Map)
Kent
Tel: 01634 230055
Fax: 01634 233099
Internet: BBA reman. ABS, ecu's, throttle bodies, air mass meters, and catalytic converters

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Guys

Thanks for feedback. Car is a 2004 1.6L manual Megane Dynamique (petrol). 54,000 miles on the clock. According to Renault, the parts should have been good for 100,000 miles. Apparently they have a standard formula on how much money they offer you, based on mileage, how far it's past it's warranty etc. Their attitude was 'hey, parts fail'. Fine if you don't mind killing off your customers I suppose.

They were prepared to let him drive it off on the day, pending the parts arriving - after signing a disclaimer of course. Never mind the fact you'd be effectively uninsured as there's no way you could claim it was road worthy if anything happened. It's now known as the Renault Deathtrap in our house.

Prior to this incident, I loved the Renault, but we've decided to go Japanese next time as they seem to consistently top the reliability polls.

Anna_L

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Long Live the Scots!!!

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Is it a case that the power steering fails and the steering goes heavy,or does the steering actually lock up,Webcode?

Sounds pretty bl00dy scary!:eek:

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
If the column fails the steering should go heavy..

But it maybe possible that the steering lock engages.. Never heard of that tho..

Still scary tho!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts