Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in another post about my Renualt Clio 2003 1.2 petrol not firing up when cold in the morning. Tried most remedies but as to date still takes a fair while for the engine to fire up. Then it occured to me the other day, could it be the E10 petrol i use, the sensors of the ECU not liking start up. What do you think.

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6- boot carpet says March 12, 2001
2,147 Posts
No.
Renaults have been OK with E10 since the 90s except for a couple of 2.0 engines. We use it all the time in the EU.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
No E10 problems with either my 1.2 Clio or Honda motorcycle, but both are a bit newer - 2017..... and that is using supermarket E10 too.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,233 Posts
Another for no.

Please keep to one problem, one thread....... I know this is specific to the fuel but is still related to your other thread.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,923 Posts
If it's your first tank of E10 then I would say that "could" be the problem. Unlikely but possible. The ethanol in E10 will mix with any water in the tank which will likely be there after 19 years. This can be good but only up to the point when the mix becomes saturated. Then it will start to separate into two mixes in the tank. At the top is reduced octane gasoline. At the bottom will be an ethanol water mix. Neither of these will help the starting.
It's an outside possibility but exactly what happens in the laboratory.
In the long term your car should run fine on E10 although there are some problems reported in the UK press over winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
not sure if you have tried this but my 2003 1.4 had the same problem and it was the coil packs they seem to hate cold but once they get some warmth in them it works fine i replaced one that was faulty and never had an issue since

im in South Africa so cold isnt really a problem here

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
My old clio is 2003 as well..The only thing i have noticed is that i no longer get a regular 46 mpg. Keeping tabs on it has shown that i now get around 42mpg. No starting or running problems at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts