Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they work,are they any good?
Thank you to all the people,who give of their time and experience.......

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes they do, I've used the one I bought last year on 4 different cars, and it's correctly identified the problems on all of them. Amazing for the money, but remember they only cover the engine - other systems such as ABS won't be covered.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,761 Posts
Can you reveal what software you used..
Its the software we need the info on..
as most dongles will connect, but lots sell software in their package that dont.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
.................also remember that the dongle may work properly but you could still have a vehicle with control systems intentionally set-up/designed to not speak generic OBD - my vehicle is an example of that situation.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,761 Posts
.................also remember that the dongle may work properly but you could still have a vehicle with control systems intentionally set-up/designed to not speak generic OBD - my vehicle is an example of that situation.
I thought speaking generic OBD was a compliance requirement....

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
I thought speaking generic OBD was a compliance requirement....
I am guessing its a question of where in the world you are and what the legal requirements for licencing entails. My ScenicII is actively prevented from speaking generic OBD (some scanners even state that as a fact in as many words after you try to use it on the car) ................ as in nothing at all ........ this despite many many tries with different readers that are known to be able to speak to other ScenicII s:nerd::crying2:

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,681 Posts
I am guessing its a question of where in the world you are and what the legal requirements for licencing entails. My ScenicII is actively prevented from speaking generic OBD (some scanners even state that as a fact in as many words after you try to use it on the car) ................ as in nothing at all ........ this despite many many tries with different readers that are known to be able to speak to other ScenicII s:nerd::crying2:
IIRC tis one connection within OBD plug not enabled....but don't ask me which one.
Vehicles within EU have to speak to EOBD readers, USA have to speak to OBD2 (which are virtually same) and I think most elsewhere in world have similar rules.
But maybe not SA ?
And older vehicles that predate legislation dates can be iffy.

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
IIRC tis one connection within OBD plug not enabled....but don't ask me which one.
Vehicles within EU have to speak to EOBD readers, USA have to speak to OBD2 (which are virtually same) and I think most elsewhere in world have similar rules.
But maybe not SA ?
And older vehicles that predate legislation dates can be iffy.
All true.

IN SA apparently Renault can do what they want (either ito what gets sold as a complete car or what gets fitted as eg an ECU as part of a repair where the ECU may have been destined for elsewhere in the world)............. the net result is I have now had the unmentionable computer and software as well as my stash of OBD dongles/scanners on 13 different ScenicII vehicles ....................... 3 of them flat-out refuse speaking OBD even though my Autel is able to get very close to the functionality of the unmentionable computer and software ............. yet no OBD allowed to speak anywhere:surprise:

Have square eyes as a result of reading the net and speaking to different "boffins" on the subject - so far, still no luck let alone showing any progress:crying2:

·
Registered
71 Posts
The software I use is simply the TorquePro app from playstore.

It communicates perfectly with my elm327 Bluetooth thingy, which plugs into the obd socket, and displays on my phone.

It's worked on a 1999 BMW 5 series, a 2004 Nisan Tiida, a 2007 Citroen Picasso hdi, and my current Micra dci, correctly diagnosing the faults in all cases, and able to clear faults, and switch off eml.

Absolutely brilliant bit of kit for next to nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Prety sure in the UK for readers having to work is 1999> petrols and 2004> for Diesels, but I have met cars thatt don't play nice more than once.... Renaults are known NOT to play nice with generic readers,

I have these 3

a elm 327 v1.5 ODBII and Torque Pro Android App - works on ALL 4 Scenics I've owned <£10 for both

renault.COM - bluetooth ODBII device (a china copy of a DecScan Solo and ASM-X software) needs laptop / wifi/ bluetooth £37 to £50 pain in butt to configure. / but Can apparently do dealer stuff

Icarsoft907 best by far for a reader as gives renault codes (DFxxx) and descripttion of fault £99

1 - 10 of 10 Posts