Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Apologies for the long post and I hope this is the correct place to post this message. This question is reference my first post in the “Welcome to” area. The Car in question is an 03 plate Clio 1.2 16V ( Wife’s Car )

My question is about ECU/OBD. I consider myself to be a slightly above average DIY’er with Cars. There is nothing that I worry about having to work on a Car my hobby being restoring Old Cars ( See http://www.donkennedy.co.uk/ ). I realise that more modern cars have a higher level of sophistication but an Engine is an Engine and a Gearbox is a Gearbox etc the main differences are fuel monitoring etc that is controlled by software. I do have an understanding of the principles involved, i.e. sensors monitoring different areas of engine performance so adjusting fuel input etc. ( Should the Lambda Sensor be called an Oxygen Sensor ? ). These sensors are connected to the ECU allowing the ECU software to alter fuel etc. I also have a good understanding on the operation of a CPU that is in an ECU and know that there is an internal memory that stores information like past faults/problems ( OBD ). My question is ( at last ) is software obtainable that can be loaded into a Laptop that “talks” to the ECU and OBD and will show fault codes etc. There are a number of places ( E-Bay ) that sell discs but how do I know what one to get. There seems to be different types. I suspect that a majority of them are basic types that only give a limited range of results, I would like software that allows detailed information and the possibility of resetting and adjusting information. I know about adjusting software and the problems it would cause if the ECU of a Car was altered but would like to access the ECU when the engine was running correctly so if/when there was a problem I could check with previous settings and also ask the OBD for any stored results/faults. Maybe what I am asking is not possible to obtain and if it is will be quite expensive but it would be nice to obtain software for me to load into a Laptop that will enable me to do the above at a “reasonable” cost. Once again sorry for the long post and many thanks for your time reading the above and thanks for any replies.

Don Kennedy ( Plymouth Devon ).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris. Many thanks for the reply but how do I know if what I am buying is OK ?. Is there something I should be looking for or what type of question should I ask the seller.

Don Kennedy

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can buy fault code gizmo's for specific cars from Halfords. These connect to the OBD2 port on the car and offload any fault codes, I would imagine what the codes are is detailed in the packaging somewhere.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I got Dialogys, but I didn't realise that it was software as such that could / would connect to your ecu.... Its more of a manual than anything else as far as I can tell (and not very freindly at that either). Of course, I could be totally wrong.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello. Many thanks for the replies and ideas. Sorry if I am causing confusion. I realise that I may not have explained myself very well. Part of my Job ( Test and calibration of electronic equipment ) requires me to access CPUs and enables me to "talk" to the unit. I thought there could be software that would enable me to "talk" to the software of the car ( 03 plate Clio 1.2 16V ). The main reason for wanting to do what I want to do is if in the future a problem arises by using software I can find out what and where the problem is. It would seem that what I am looking for is difficult to obtain. The manufactures software must be able to do what I want but it would not be available to none dealers. Maybe I should look for some software that I can load into a Laptop to enable me to get fault codes. I know that there are things/units that can be obtained that show fault codes but as I have a Laptop all I need is the software. One of the problems is there would be no point in spending loads of money for what could be something that is only used very rarely. As can be noted my knowledge of Car ECUs is very limited but my knowledge of CPUs and software is good.

Many thanks, Don Kennedy ( Plymouth. Devon )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts