Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 11 plate Grand Scenic 1.5 dci with the EDC automatic gear box. The car has now done 30K miles. On 3 separate occasion in the last 4 months I have had the waring message ' Check Automatic Gear Box' appear on the dash board and the drive has become sluggish with lumpy gear changes.

When changing the gear leaver from the Auto position in to the Manual poisition I notice that gears 2, 4 & 6 are missing and the drive is being done through 1, 3 & 5 only. Hence the lumpy changes.

The issue has on all occations rectified itself by stopping and turnig the engine off and on again.

Has any one else had the same problem? Is this an issue to be worried about? Is it symptomaic of a bigger issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Yes the car is under warranty and is booked in for this to be looked into on the 4th Feb. I am just interested if this is a common EDC gear box fault, or if I have a serious problem developing with the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The car is currently with a Renault dealership. They are claiming that the fault has not been captured by the system log in the car. They are trying to get it to replicate by test driving, but as the fault has only occurred 3 times in the last 4 months then there chance of getting it to play ball is very slim.

Currently I am being advised that if they cant get it to replicate and with no fault log then they will not be able to do anything under the warranty provision of the car.

Again I ask has anyone else has this or a similar issue with the EDC automatic gear box. What was your resolution?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just found your thread. I have a Grand Scenic 1.5 DCI 2011 with the EDC auto gearbox. I have had the 'Check Auto Gearbox Function' notice a few times in the last couple of months, usually after the car has not been feeling quite right. I took it to the local main agents & they said it did not show up on the diagnostic machine (£85) & to take it back when it was displaying the problem. Trouble is, as soon as I switch the engine off the fault clears. I called Renault Technical Help & they told me that my vehicle had had this fault 18 months ago & it was cured by re-installing the Engine Management Unit software. I am currently trying to get them to do this on the Renault extended warranty that I have. Was your problem resolved& if it was, How. Just Geoff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem on Scenic 1.5 dCI EDC 2010. Fault and loss of gears. Software update and calibartion of gearbox did not help. What is the solution for the problem?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem on Scenic 1.5 dCI EDC 2010. Fault and loss of gears. Software update and calibartion of gearbox did not help. What is the solution for the problem?
I have just had this problem on gears 1,3 and 5. Thankfully the software reset and calibraation has worked up to now (now looking for something made of wood to touch).

The original diagnostic showed a solenoid was stuck open. I was told that if the software reset didnt work the solenoid would need replacing. I dont know how big a job that would be though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anybody else with the similar problem with loss of gears and hopefully a solution to it?
I had a software reset 4 weeks ago and received the Check auto box again yesterday along with a loss of odd gears. The car is back in today for more diagnostics, so i will see what they say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hope you have a quick fix that will also help me and others. Please keep us informed. There isn't much said about this loss of gears on entire Internet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a similar problem on my 2014 RS Clio EDC lux last week (16 months old with 16k on clock). Gears 2/4/6 missing and message "check auto gearbox". Switched engine off and left it for a while and it appeared OK. But got the local Renault dealer to have a look at it yesterday. They said it was a "known fault" and updated the software in the gearbox. Early days, but been OK so far.

Though they did say it was a "potential 2 stage fix" and if the gearbox re-flash did not sort it... then there was something else they could try (try???). But they would not be drawn on what the stage 2 fix attempt would be!

Lets hope it's sorted by the firmware flash.

Anyone else got any further with their problem/s? or any updates to pass on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: EDC Gear Box - Loss of Gears 2, 4 & 6

Thanks for sharing the information. Mine is now much better after I had disconnected the connector to the gearbox and connected it back after some time. Maybe it has restarted itself somehow when it was without power? I also sprayed the connector with conductive spray so that could have helped?
Now, occasionally I get the error but only for a few seconds.
Has anybody changed the gearbox oil?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Found this thread, experiencing same problem. Mine also lost reverse, though. Reading trough the thread, there seems to be a three stage approach to fixing it: 1) Flash software, 2) Check connections on gearbox, and 3) Change solenoid. My incident was in cold and damp weather ( - where most electrical problems occur), so maybe it is the second problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Found this thread, experiencing same problem. Mine also lost reverse, though. Reading trough the thread, there seems to be a three stage approach to fixing it: 1) Flash software, 2) Check connections on gearbox, and 3) Change solenoid. My incident was in cold and damp weather ( - where most electrical problems occur), so maybe it is the second problem?
Dug into it a bit more: Reverse is connected to the same solenoid as gear 2, 4 and 6. So that seems to be MY problem:rant:

·
Registered
7 Posts

Yes, the gears share same components. But why does it works sometimes and sometimes doesn't? Please post here when you stumble upon solution.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts

Yes, the gears share same components. But why does it works sometimes and sometimes doesn't? Please post here when you stumble upon solution.

Electrical faults can be occasional. Sometimes the connection is there, sometimes it is not. If it was a mechanical problem, it would not work at all. ( - and be much more costly to repair).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got car back today: The log had a mark for loss of one of the solenoids. But when the mechanic tried it, the car suddenly worked OK, so it is a temporary failure. Mechanic said it could be the solenoid is bad, but the failure could also be in the connection plug on the gearbox, or a wirering failure, or as a last thing: The computer which controls the gearbox. I hope it was just a bad connector. So we didn't get much wiser, but if it is just the connector, it may be it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same thing here. Computer or connections or solenoid but no one knows for sure. Who. should pay for test computer? In Croatia dealer doesn't have spare one for test purposes. Mine is now on 97% reliability :) so I am happy. But don't know what will be next.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts