Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I've recently purchased a Scenic III 1.5dCI 2012 and as a first maintenance in my care I decided to change the oil, filters and to clean the EGR, all good and fine until I discovered the EGR coolant hose clogged rock solid with a reddish substance, brick colour, any ideas what would be the cause of it or what's next to do? Car drives absolutely fine with no errors on the dash, I will put some photos with the hose, substance and location.
Any help would be very appreciated
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,452 Posts
Looks like rust, are the other pipes clear.

·
Premium Member
Clio Mk IV 1.5 dCi MediaNav S/S 2013
3,887 Posts
To me it looks like some form of reaction. I wonder if the previous owner/s had a coolant leak and they tried an additive to seal it? I would be a little concerned with the rest of the cooling system. There are much smaller waterways than that and if this one is bad, well...

A good strong coolant flush is on the cards I reckon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello guys,
I've recently purchased a Scenic III 1.5dCI 2012 and as a first maintenance in my care I decided to change the oil, filters and to clean the EGR, all good and fine until I discovered the EGR coolant hose clogged rock solid with a reddish substance, brick colour, any ideas what would be the cause of it or what's next to do? Car drives absolutely fine with no errors on the dash, I will put some photos with the hose, substance and location.
Any help would be very appreciated
Thanks in advance!
To me it looks like some form of reaction. I wonder if the previous owner/s had a coolant leak and they tried an additive to seal it? I would be a little concerned with the rest of the cooling system. There are much smaller waterways than that and if this one is bad, well...

A good strong coolant flush is on the cards I reckon.
Hi, thanks for the advice, it is possible as you mentioned for the previous owner to have done that, I wonder what the metal tube is called, the one with the small inlet that was clogged, i noticed the EGR is mounted on it(I think), was thinking to take it down and whash it properly, I think the other end goes into the turbo i believe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like rust, are the other pipes clear.
Hi, thanks for replying,
It seems to be hardened coolant as it has the same colour and if you smash it it becomes like wet sand consistency or something similar, very weird, never seen something like that, main coolant pipes seem to be ok but there are small fragments of that redish residue in the expansion tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts