Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, we removed the valve and wow, was it gunked up. cleaned and replaced at the weekend and my husband used it for work on monday 70miles there and 70miles back. although it seems to be running better, the bloody warning light came back on again, aarrggh!!
it seems to be ok on normal roads around town but on the motorway at 70mph if it comes to a hill the light comes on and it drops to around 60mph. any ideas what we can try now?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for your reply so quickly, do you mean disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it after a certain period of time? i.e 10 mins?
After reading other similar egr stories we thorght cleanng it would give us a couple of months of not panicing on the motorway and if the light came back again then just get a new one fitted, But seeing it didnt make any difference is it the egr? mmmmm?:confused:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,926 Posts
On my DCi80 Clio if I disconnect the EGR the engine light comes on after a few starts and sometimes the heater plug lights come on when the car is hot, but it does not affect the engine other than it feels to have a little more power at low revs and does a few more mpg, if I then reconnect it the lights go out and the fault codes disappear after a few more starts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Cockers!, i have 02 dci dynamic 1.9 manual, am going to get it electronic tested to see what fault comes to light (pardon the pun!) also my heater works o.k but makes a droning noise that only stops after a certain lenght of time usualy after a big loud noise from the heater that actually makes me jump! after this all is quite and normal, i wondered if something is broke or jammed in the heater ,would this cause the glowplug light to come on and display as a fault?
thanks for your reply.

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
heater is unlikely to be related , unless its to do with aircon switched on , and the injection system cutting it out. try pressing the recirculation switch for the heater to see if your noise goes. have you had any work done on the aircon.?
also when your husband removed the egr , did he clean the ports in the inlet manifold , where the valve came out of ? these will be bunged up like the valve was.
see what the test bring up and post the results.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had the same issue for the past 2 years, in my case it isn't the egr valve - although i have turned the valve round so that it is now inactive, this seems to give me better mpg and certainly improves acceleration.

As for the light, it comes on whenever you're going at high speed and under load (ie a hill or fast acceleration), when you put your foot on the clutch and drop the revs to zero it goes off? If so it's the same as me - i've put questions up on the forum and no-one seems to know the exact problem. I think there is too much pressure builds up in the engine under load and so it limits itself.

I've just managed to develop a slight fix. Below and behind the egr valve, at the top of the turbo you will see a long thin metal bar attached to the top of the turbo by two nuts. This is the actuator for the turbo wastegate. If you loosen the left nut a few turns and slide the waste gate attachment to the left, then tighten the right nut across again this opens the wastegate ever so slightly. So far this seems to let some of the pressure escape enough to prevent the light come on. I still need to test it on a long motorway journey, but i've managed short motorway journeys without the light coming on, when it normally would do. If you turn the nuts too far the wastegate will open too much - you'll know if this happens because you'll have no power in the car at all, struggle to accelerate.

You should be able to see the actuator bar in the pics below.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts