Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.
i have all the symptoms of a gunged up egr valve on my 04 scenic 1.9 dci .i borrowed a friends haynes manual to see how to remove the unit but on my engine it says "warning.never remove the egr valve from the egr unit"
has anyone removed the egr valve on their scenic or does anyone know why they would put this warning in the manual?
thanks
paul

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
The egr valve unit is secured by 3 studs, 10mm spanner, and the electrical plug has to be unplugged. Access may require removal of the windscreen cowl panel etc depending on model. The operating part of the EGR valve consists of 2 poppet valves on a common shaft which is solenoid operated. The valves and ports are cleaned without further dismantling after removal of the EGR unit. Take special care to clean the small diameter operating shaft where it enters it's support bearing which is prone to the build up of hard carbon inhibiting it's operation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you find it doesn't want to move when you have removed the bolts, spray lots of carb cleaner around the bolt holes and flanges, this will penetrate softening the carbon, it will then move, as it eases out a bit, spray lots onto the cylindrical body which will now be exposed a bit, shove back in slightly then start to ease out again, it should now move all or most of the way out, if it doesn't come all the way out, spray and work in/out again.
Then as said above.
Also take great care to get rid of all carbon bits in the housing, cleaning is made easier by removing the big air hose off the right hand side of the housing, this will also allow access to the little hole in the housing that goes into the little pipe at the back leading upto a sensor, this hole will need to be kept clear/unblocked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts