Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I would appreciate some guidance on swapping my manual folding wing mirrors with some electric folding mirrors on my Megane III Phase 1.

Along with the mirror units, I was hoping to use a OE switch in the dashboard (I have an empty switch blank next to the Traction Control Button, that I was hoping was the OE position for the folding mirror switch).

Has anyone attempted this, and have a parts list, preferable the Renault Part numbers, so I can go and price this upgrade up and source the parts?!

Ta muchly!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Progress update:

I have contacted Sutton Park Group Tamworth, as Sutton Park Group Sutton Coldfield were useless.

The addition of electric folding mirrors to my Megane, according to the chassis number on my car and the parts required to make them work, is in compatible.
It seems Renault have locked out any modifications to their vehicles after they leave the production line. Here’s what SPG Tamworth said.

The option to have electric folding mirrors at the point of sale was not requested, as such when the car was made they installed a UCH that doesn’t have the controller option for the folding mirrors. Also the wiring looms from said UCH and in the door panels do not have the required connection to them. SPG Tamworth ran my chassis number into the computer, and it returned exactly what is in my car, and this is how they arrived at this.

They said even if I obtained a chassis number from a Megane with electric folding mirrors, there is nothing to say that these mirrors will work with my Megane. The only off-the-record comment they suggested, would be to find a donor car, swap the mirrors and door switch, and see if they will operate, if not then the UCH would have to be changed, which is apparently mega work, basically starting with the wiring of the car all over again.

So this has put to bed for me sourcing the parts from Renault to do this………………

……..however, I’m not quitting there!

My next plan is to get hold of someone with a Megane Mk3 Phase 1 and swop over the mirrors and door switch and try it; if that fails then I will try a bypass to folding motor power circuit and operate the mirrors independently from the system, rerouting the door switch “folding in/out” button and tapping into the central locking system/interior light circuit to fold in/out upon locking the car. And by the powers of grey skull, I will have the power! (And with a little help from my electronic wizard, also known as my brother Andrew lol)

I will provide an update once I have made some progress, including lovely lovely pictures!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Progress update:

I have contacted Sutton Park Group Tamworth, as Sutton Park Group Sutton Coldfield were useless.

The addition of electric folding mirrors to my Megane, according to the chassis number on my car and the parts required to make them work, is in compatible.
It seems Renault have locked out any modifications to their vehicles after they leave the production line. Here’s what SPG Tamworth said.

The option to have electric folding mirrors at the point of sale was not requested, as such when the car was made they installed a UCH that doesn’t have the controller option for the folding mirrors. Also the wiring looms from said UCH and in the door panels do not have the required connection to them. SPG Tamworth ran my chassis number into the computer, and it returned exactly what is in my car, and this is how they arrived at this.

They said even if I obtained a chassis number from a Megane with electric folding mirrors, there is nothing to say that these mirrors will work with my Megane. The only off-the-record comment they suggested, would be to find a donor car, swap the mirrors and door switch, and see if they will operate, if not then the UCH would have to be changed, which is apparently mega work, basically starting with the wiring of the car all over again.

So this has put to bed for me sourcing the parts from Renault to do this………………

……..however, I’m not quitting there!

My next plan is to get hold of someone with a Megane Mk3 Phase 1 and swop over the mirrors and door switch and try it; if that fails then I will try a bypass to folding motor power circuit and operate the mirrors independently from the system, rerouting the door switch “folding in/out” button and tapping into the central locking system/interior light circuit to fold in/out upon locking the car. And by the powers of grey skull, I will have the power! (And with a little help from my electronic wizard, also known as my brother Andrew lol)

I will provide an update once I have made some progress, including lovely lovely pictures!!!!!
Any updates on your exciting projekt..?? ***9786;

Sendt fra min LG-D802 med Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still on the hunt for a decent priced pair of power-folding mirrors with driver side door loom, but its like trying to find Rocking Horse S**t!

But patients will have to be adopted, my time for power folding mirrors will come!

In the meantime, my Drivers Wing Mirror got obliterated yesterday evening by a side wiper, and they didn't stop to exchange details, didn't see in time the reg plate either :mad:

Trying to locate a Drivers Side Electric Wing Mirror that's NOT power folding is increasing as difficult as trying to find one that is!

£78.50 for a non-OEM mirror replacement is what I've found so far, but can't seem to find a second hand original for under £50. That being said trying to find a second-hand one is proving illusive!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, what I found confirm what SteveAllman said, it's very difficult to change from manual to eletrical folding.

What I discovered:
The PIN/connectors of the switch controls (1667) on drivers door from manual to one eletrical folding are the same. This switch control is directlly connected to one unit (1122 - CONTROL UNIT MULTIPLEX POWER DOOR DRIVER)

That unit (1122) is inside the doors which controls and multiplexes the commands from the switch controls.

Then from that unit cames out 2 cables, one goes directlly to the mirror driver's and another goes to the passenger.

The big question and I'm trying to understand..it's still possible if we connect directly from switch controls and mirror?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts