Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from a driving instructor over here in Northern Ireland that the elctronic handbrake mechanism must be disabled during a driving test. Is this true elsewhere in the UK. Can anyone shed any light on this.:confused:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I have heard from a driving instructor over here in Northern Ireland that the elctronic handbrake mechanism must be disabled during a driving test. Is this true elsewhere in the UK. Can anyone shed any light on this.:confused:

I dont think so because you would be driving a vehicle with no handbrake thus commiting a moving traffic offence,, You can still apply and disengage the handbrake manually, it only engages automatically if the ignition is switched off.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
I'd doubt it ... car would be unsafe with no parking brake ...

On the driving test though ... would make the hill start a breeze :d

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Truck - just found this on the driver testing agency in Northern Ireland.
Quote:
Electronically operated parking brakes

DVTA Practical Driving Test - Vehicle Safety
A number of car manufacturers are fitting electronically operated parking brakes to their vehicles. This innovative design alleviates the necessity for the coordination of gas, clutch and parking brake control. However, as this is an important and necessary requirement for a driver to demonstrate on test it has been decided that vehicles fitted with this type of parking brake would not be suitable for a driving test. However, if the systems can be manually overridden and subsequently operate as a conventional ratchet type parking brake, the vehicle would be suitable.
I am not sure if this would apply to some of the newer Renaults though - your comments would be appreciated

·
2,311 Posts
Hi Madnoel10, mmmm..... as otto said the electronic parking brakes can be manually operated, and are in fact only self applying when the engine Stop/Start button is depressed, similarly when the "biting" point is reached then the brake is automatically released.

I'm sure our dealer chums at Renault can "disable" the automatic activation/release via the ABS/Central ECU, but I'm also sure there would be a fuss over it .... maybe this is why there are very few Clios/Meganes now used as instructor cars ...

However as things progress in the world I'd expect to see more and more cars with automatic parking brakes .... in the same way ABS is now almost standard ....

Strange that there is/was no request to disable ABS systems so that learners could bring the car to a safe and controlled halt in an emergency stop without relying on electronics!

Still thats progress for you:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I must admit I really like the electronic handbrake, Remember Buses, HGV vehicles, Tractors have had them fitted for many years now prior to there fitment on private cars. The only quibble I have with it is the location on the Scenic I would rather it was placed at my left hand as opposed to my right .

Regards

Ottoman

·
2,311 Posts
I must admit I really like the electronic handbrake, Remember Buses, HGV vehicles, Tractors have had them fitted for many years now prior to there fitment on private cars. The only quibble I have with it is the location on the Scenic I would rather it was placed at my left hand as opposed to my right .

Regards

Ottoman

Must agree here, I think its great (except manual release ...its a bit of a pain), the only drawback I've got is that I keep leaving the Clio without puting the handbrake on .... still no harm done yet!

:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Must agree here, I think its great (except manual release ...its a bit of a pain), the only drawback I've got is that I keep leaving the Clio without puting the handbrake on .... still no harm done yet!

:eek:
That's why I've consciously and deliberately retained the habit of manually applying the handbrake when I park the Lag. I know it's redundant on my car, but I've yet to forget to put the handbrake on when I've been driving somebody else's.

Though when driving other cars, I do sometimes try to pull away from traffic lights and expect the handbrake to release on its own. :crazy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts