Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something very odd happening in my 05 Scenic. Very occasionally I get the warning beep (which is louder than the horn...but that's another story) and the "Stop" warning light flashes on very briefly. However, this only happens at one particular point on one junction which I pass through - I negotiate several similar junctions and corners so it doesn't appear to be anything to do with wheel angles, acceleration, braking etc. I can only put it down to something strange about the cabling under the road or some local who is transmitting some frequency which is interfering with the cars electrics. Basically though I am baffled. Anyone experienced something similar (in any car?).

Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. However, I understand external sources could effect the transmission of a signal when you remotely lock/unlock doors but can they also effect the warning lights/system when on the move?

I am sort of concerned that there actually be a problem with the car (hence the warning buzzer and light) but it just seems very coincidental that the warning happens at exactly the same point at the same junction and nowhere else. I dread the thought of taking it to the dealer to spend hours (and pounds of my money :( ) to find nothing :steam: .

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Andrew - has anyone else had any probs at this particular junction and are there any mobile phone mast close by or traffic lights or pedestrian crossings.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi madnoel

I'm not aware that others have had a problem on this bit of road but I haven't really discussed it (apart from on this forum). No warnings from my wife's Volvo or my other car (MX-5 :d :d ) but the electrics are probably different. No traffic lights, mobile masts or anything I can see.

This only started to happen a few weeks ago (and doesn't happen every time I go through this junction) which could suggest someone has installed and occasionally uses some equipment.

However, I have an increasingly horrible feeling :( that the warning is not a false alarm and it is just coincidence (or some fairly unique combination of steering, speed, braking as I go round this junction) that the warning happens here.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi Andrew, when I worked as a Customer Services Manager within Ford UK, there was an issue with Explorers unlocking themselves if they were parked near mobile masts, Police Stations and supermarkets - all areas with concentrated radio/electrical activity.

It is very un-nerving just the same, as your confidence in the car is adversely affected.

What I would suggest is to keep a log of when this occurs, and build-up a history of the frequency (i.e. every time you pass by, or only at certain times, etc). Then, I would change my route, and not go near that junction at all - see if the occurence alters or ceases entirely. What you are doing, is problem-solving at its most basic - treat the junction as a constant, and everything else (the car, driving conditions, time of the day/week) as a variable. Hopefully, the car should not display this rogue behaviour when its away from this junction - so you can rule out any faults with the car. If its just as bad, then something is untoward with the car (but at least you have an ability to replicate the fault with the dealer).

Also, if you have built-up a pattern, you can contact your council, who can monitor for the useage of equipment that is causing this behaviour.

Hope that helps.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Andrew - what Velsatisfied says may help trace the problem - what if any type of busineses are there in the area (if any). On the other hand it may be some a**hole larking about with a scanner of some sort. As a matter of interest are there any radio controlled model clubs in the area.:)

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hi Andrew, when I worked as a Customer Services Manager within Ford UK, there was an issue with Explorers unlocking themselves if they were parked near mobile masts, Police Stations and supermarkets - all areas with concentrated radio/electrical activity.

It is very un-nerving just the same, as your confidence in the car is adversely affected.

What I would suggest is to keep a log of when this occurs, and build-up a history of the frequency (i.e. every time you pass by, or only at certain times, etc). Then, I would change my route, and not go near that junction at all - see if the occurence alters or ceases entirely. What you are doing, is problem-solving at its most basic - treat the junction as a constant, and everything else (the car, driving conditions, time of the day/week) as a variable. Hopefully, the car should not display this rogue behaviour when its away from this junction - so you can rule out any faults with the car. If its just as bad, then something is untoward with the car (but at least you have an ability to replicate the fault with the dealer).

Also, if you have built-up a pattern, you can contact your council, who can monitor for the useage of equipment that is causing this behaviour.

Hope that helps.

Paul:)
I work for a Council and I wouldn't give much faith on they knowing anything about sources of RF. The advise is good but the best people to contact are OFCOM. I still think you have an immunity problem with your car as I run a fairly high power amateur radio transmitter in my Laguna with no problems however Paul is correct with his diagnois and advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I'd update all you helpful folks.

Yes - it was pure coincidence :crazy: and nothing to do with electronic interference :rolleyes: . After a couple of months of the warning only happening at the same place, it started to go off occasionally elsewhere. Gradually became more frequent (twice a week?) - always when turning right and accelerating up through second/third. Eventually managed to read the warning as it flashed briefly - clearly something to do with the brakes.

Took the plunge and booked the car into the dealer, expecting the worse (or at least a new set of pads) - turned out to be low brake fluid. The warning went off as the car was turning and accelerating as the remaining fluid flowed away from the low level contacts.

I am still gob-smacked by the way....dealer checked the state of the pads, checked for leaks and topped up the fluid...for FREE :d :d

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
All is well then a reminder to check the fluid levels mre frequently tho ...Thanks for keeping the Forums informed.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
A result is a result

Good to see you'ver got the problem sorted. False reports of radio interference are nothing new to us Radio Hams as they're difficult to indentify. I had a friend who had a neighbour who swore he was causing TV interference whe he wasn't even home. Turned out to be a loose TV aeral

1 - 11 of 11 Posts