Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Can someone help me PLEASE:confused: Went to start my espace and all hell broke loose. I got an airbag warning, then a brake failure warning, then esp warning, with the key card in, there was nothing from the starter button, the lights are dim, the radio will not come on and the doors wont lock! I think, and hope, that the battery is dead:confused: :confused: I do have the red flashing dashboard immobiliser light, but not much else.

Has anyone any ideas please, and if it could be the battery, how do I get it disconnected. the negative terminal has the normal clamp on the battery post, but it also seems to be held by a plastic clip; the positive side has three nuts on the cables, do I have to undo all of them to get the battery out for charging.

sorry for the long question, but it happened the day we were packed for our holiday, so my family isn't too happy at the moment:mad: Many thanks to all our experts out there, I know someone will come back with an intelligent answer. Thank You all. Graham

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It certaintly sounds like a dud battery,but I honestly think your wasting your time with trying to recharge it.I think it will need replacing.:(

Not sure about the connections,but I suspect you've only got to undo the clamp that holds the leads to the battery.Have you got a picture handy of the connections?.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've got a 2006 Espace with the same problem - went on holiday for 10 days, came back to the same symptons as you had.

Jump started the car and got even more error messages. Thankfully, they all disappeared after a few days.

Not sure why your battery would be flat. However, if you went on hols with a flat battery, you shoud replace it - batteries don't like being left discharged and undergo permanent damage.

I'm a bit confused about your question about the 3 cables. They all connect to 1 connector that connects to the battery.

Best advise is to get your battery replaced. Go into Kwik Fits, they change your battery and get rid of your old one as well.

This'll work out cheaper than your Renault dealer and you won't have to take any time off work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

thanks to the good friends who have replied so far. the advice you gave me is reassuring, I thought my electrical systema had just given up:mad: Charged the battery last night, but not had time to reconnect it yet. will let you know.
regarding the wires, the positive side has three wires, which connect to a sort of bridge which is then connected to the normal battery post; took me a while to figure it out:confused: You mention Kwik Fit - my battery has a gas exhaust pipe, a little black plastic thing, running from the left of the battery down to somewhere outside I assume. the handbook says this must be refitted to a new battery - do kwik fit etc. sell this type of battery, and any idea of cost:confused: Long questions again, sorry and many thanks in advance:) :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
electrics sorted, but the seats??????

Hello lagdti and prem and everyone else. thanks for the help regarding the electrics; had Reneault CZ fit a new battery today and, hey presto, everything back to normal:) :)
Continuing the saga about buying two extra seats for the rear, Renault UK still insist that I cannot retrofit, even though renault cz assured me I could and even lent me a couple to proof it:crazy: here is part of the email from the uk lady:
I have ensured that the recent car price guide is posted to you. Please allow a few days to receive this via post. To confirm, we would not recommend fitting two additional seats because your vehicle is not designed to have additional seats fitted.

If you would like any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at Renault Customer Services via telephone or email us.
So what's going on:confused:
Once again, thanks to the great members who helped. btw, to the administrators if you are reading this, as soon as I can sort out paying from over here, I intend to become a supporter, well worth the few quid:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
How many seats do you have at the moment?

I believe that 7 is the prctical limit.

I remember that the Initiale comes with 6 seats as standard and that the 7th was a £500 option.

Don't believe everything Renault UK say. They really haven't got a clue.

Pop down to your friendly dealer and see if they can help.

Also, look around in Ebay, they have the seats sometimes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how many seats

Hi Prem and thanks for thepost. I currently have 5 seats in my Privilege, but there are certainly rails to fit upto 7. The local dealer assured me that all the rear seats are moveable, put em where you want he said, but the cost of new ones is about £500 equivalent:crazy: Just to prove they can go in the rear, the salesman brought their chief mechanic with two of their seats and just popped them in, so I am not sure why renault uk keep insisting I shouldn't have seven seats. As someone said, don't they want the business?

Just wish there were more scrappers in my area, but they are relatively rare in this country, as everyone seems to own the vel satis. still, will keep trying.
thanks to everyone for the super assistance:) :) :)
Graham (Berushka)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts