Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2006 clio which is exhibiting a battery drain problem, battery was replaced last year so not expected to be the issue here ( got battery on external charge at the moment to validate this). Car can be jumped and runs OK, however issue seems to be drain on battery when not running. I have just noted that there is what I can only describe as a faint alarm ( beeping) noise coming from somewhere in the engine compartment when engine is off - I am sure this is the cause of the battery drain - -any clues as to what the issue could be?

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
You do get a very high pitched whistling sound if either the door / bonnet / boot lid isn't closed correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
Could be a relay vibrating because you've got damp in there somewhere. (?)

Also check your boot and/or glovebox lamps go out when they're supposed to, and not permanently on.

EDIT: or is it a bleep - bleep - bleep type of noise?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Thanks for the inputs - here is more info. Battery charged up OK - so as suspected not a battery issue. To clarify the noise from the engine it is two tone noise - first noise is like a very faint blaring horn (whine ?) overlayed with a continuous series of pips ( bleep ?). I have disconnected battery again to save drainage.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Sounds like you have a dialup modem under the bonnet :d

On a serious note I would start pulling fuses one at a time to silence the noise , once you know which circuit is causing the battery drain then that particular circuit can be investigated further.

Is it possible that an aftermarket alarm has been fitted in the past and that is knackered causing the noise / battery drain ?

Kenny

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
If it's in the engine bay must be a relay or similar, or could it be some sort of horn? Like could be an alarm sounder, but not working properly.

^ What he said, try to find out where and what it actually is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To try and resolve the issue I decided the best course of action was to put into a authorised Renault repairer - big mistake !!!:mad:
After 3 days in which they ( multi techs apparently) failed to hear the noise but did quote me for a new battery "to fix my start up issues - which I do not have when drain not there" and brake issues, I went with my wife to pick up the car and pay the £78 for the diagnostic test which found nothing -popped bonnet without trying starting the car - noise still there - back into garage - mechanic came out and told me the noise was normal!!. Wife went to start the car - dead - back into garage - mechanic came out and now said "that noise" but refused to do any more work on the car until I had replaced the battery - since battery 1 year old and still under warranty - mechanic left us with dead car - just as well I had jump leads to allow us to get the car away. :mad:
After a blazing row with service manager who point blank refused to investigate source of electrical fault until a brand new battery was installed - who in their right mind would knowingly put a new battery into a car with an electrical fault and risk damaging a new battery ? :mad:
Anyway I decided to take advice from the forum and removed battery and using a battery charger to power the electrics - sound apparent immedietly - removed all fuses but noise still present - started to remove cables from under bonnet fuse box and now have it isolated to 1 plug which when inserted causes the noise. :d
The charger shows that when connected there is about 1A drain due to this fault. Noise appears to be coming from inside engine or something attached. I have attached a photo of the plug I removed and the noise (zip mp4 file) when cable is in - anyone got further clues as to what issue is ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
If we knew the exact engine type your query may have a better chance of getting replies. Maybe I have missed it.:idunno:

Have you checked the battery and alternator outputs?

Get yourself an engineers stethoscope hopefully that may help you trace the exact source of the noise. Cheap stethoscopes can be bought for around a fiver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi
I pulled bottom row of relays out but noise still present - so not these relays at least - found another row of fuses and started to check if any relevant fuse stopped the noise - now got it down to a 20A fuse - 4th from the LHS of fuse box ( picture attached) - been trying to find a fusebox layout but so far unsuccessful - anyone know what this fuse attached to ?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All,
Decided to pull the other relays - singled to one relay - swapped with same relay type from another position and noise fixed. Checking the relay looks like the normal open contacts are shorting causing the problem - now trying to locate a source for the relay -anyone know if any good online parts suppliers or best go back to Renault garage ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a struggle to get a replacement relay - contacted renault garage - seems they do not replace relays - quoted for full fuse box assembly - needless to say I did not take this option. Sourced a equivalent relay for about £6 delivered , however square peg in a round hole - had to sandpaper the relay to try to get it to fit - finally got it in place and car issue resolved. In parallel managed to source the exact relay from a breaker. Car worked for about a few days and then seems to now have starting issues. Replaced relay again will exact version but car still having starting issues - takes a few turn overs before it starts - sometime the engine management light illuminates and STOP gets displayed - car eventually starts - any thoughts what new issue could be ?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Anyway I decided to take advice from the forum and removed battery and using a battery charger to power the electrics - ?
I certainly wouldn't do that unless you know for sure that the DC coming out of the charger really is flat DC of the correct voltage and not very dirty DC with ripple or spikes on it. It's not as much of an issue if the battery is connected because it can help to smooth out the lumps or 'medium' spikes on the output of the charger, (very fast high spikes can still cause damage but they aren't common on chargers). That said I wasn't sure whether you had disconnected everything except the faulty circuit when you did it, in which case it wouldn't be AS bad.
Potentially you could damage the electronics by connecting a dirty power source without the battery connected.
I realise you've now found the issue, albeit it with other new probs, but the other comment I wanted to make was when you measured 1 amp, if that was only the faulty circuit it would have precluded corrosion per se, which would tend to cause low current leakage (among other things). Nice bit of fault finding so far, have you checked for error codes re the starting?
cheers
w

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
That was exactly my point, although it is not necessarily always the case (the half wave bit) as some recent chargers use switched mode electronics to avoid the heavy 50 hz ironwork, and they are likely to be spikey.

As I said earlier not as risky with the battery on (but why risk it anyway?)

(Lead acid batteries like being charged by dirty DC, and older rectifiers gave lovely dirty DC, and didn't fail when shorted, they just got very warm, but that's progress for you and a story for another day...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I pulled bottom row of relays out but noise still present - so not these relays at least - found another row of fuses and started to check if any relevant fuse stopped the noise - now got it down to a 20A fuse - 4th from the LHS of fuse box ( picture attached) - been trying to find a fusebox layout but so far unsuccessful - anyone know what this fuse attached to ?
20a fuse is for fuel injection system i got same problem and exactly the same model and year but i cant switch mine off by ignition gotta stall in first by letting clutch out with handbrake and brake on that was after totally disconnecting the battery and it still kept running lol ive done what you been doing glad i read this first im going to check /change that fuse all started after i left side lights on n had to jump it boxes look dirty but not damp but i did have build up of leaves in corners of bonnet hinges think thats drain for windscreen runoff so could of caused the damp after this months worth of rain

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
Have you tried pulling the alarm fuse?
Some sirens with onboard battery pack can fail when the battery leaks.
The usual symptoms are humming from the siren and providing a drain path for discharging the main battery.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts