Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 98 plate clio 1.2 rn petrol mk2 and i have some electrical issues. i plugged my sat nav in the cig lighter the other day and there was a big spark and the radio died. it wont come on unless it is manually switched on ( ie. not with the ignition) the rear heated window doesnt work and the ciggerette lighter wont work. when i used to switch the rear window heater on it used to click. and now it doesnt (possible relay)

can anyone shed any light on it please

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds like you may have blown a fuse. A similar thing happened to me when i was trying to wire an internal aerial the other day. If you check your manual and find the fuse for the radio/cig lighter you may find the problem, if so you just need a new fuse :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, I checked the fuse and found that indeed one had blown. Replaced it and it works fine now, just wondering does anyone know how to fit a cigarette lighter?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
i plugged my sat nav in the cig lighter the other day and there was a big spark and the radio died.
So now you've repaired the fuse, you need to work out how the SatNav power unit caused the fuse to blow.
Look at the charger, and you should see the points where the arcing occurred. This will show how you managed to get the charger (which is probably a stock item) to fit incorrectly.

It may just be that you were pushing it in awkwardly. Or that it has shorted internally. Try it again on your car (you know which fuse to change).

I assume you want to install another cigarette lighter to support the SatNav discretely? How about an accessory socket (Halfords do them, expensively, or eBay) off the same lighter power lines, and in a location that is useful to keep the satnav charger out of the way. Sounds like the cigarette lighter is off the ignition, so everything will turn off correctly if wired in like this.

Have fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I'm a newbie and have a answer. If you want to change the ciggerette lighter. its quite a easy job. Halfords do the unit for 9 quid.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_204179_langId_-1_categoryId_250451

Like this one you will need to shave some plastic off the hole to make it fir but not much and Hardwire it.

Wires as follows

The Yellow green attach's to the centre pin
Blue to the red light wire
Brown to the last conector on the unit the black wire that comes with unit is a earth if you look at bottom of where cup holders were is a metal hole you can attach it to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts