Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I have a grand scenic 2.0 dci 2007. Does anyone know where the emergency handbrake release is please? It's not in the centre console in the boot?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
in boot between two fold down seats is a box in floor - open and there should be a cable that you clip the yellow T handle too and pull up

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,049 Posts
It's not there
The box or the cable ?

If the cable is missing, I'd suspect that it has fallen through and may well be dangling beneath the vehicle.
Have a look around the EPB unit, black box on back axle.
Apart from electrics should have three cables.
One to each rear wheel caliper and one that should go up into boot.
It's that last one you need to find the central cable and give it a good pull.
Be careful, brakes will release and if it can, car will roll, chock it well.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
ok well just to confirm my 2005 G-scenic has the Yellow T handle in boot between seats under lid then under a clip in cover.

BUT.......... the 2008 G-Scenic DOES NOT have the Handle or cable and has a factory fitted blanking grommet.... SO how do we release I wonder?

·
22,049 Posts
ok well just to confirm my 2005 G-scenic has the Yellow T handle in boot between seats under lid then under a clip in cover.

BUT.......... the 2008 G-Scenic DOES NOT have the Handle or cable and has a factory fitted blanking grommet.... SO how do we release I wonder?
Apart from WTF...... is it a different EPB box?

Later models with caliper mounted EPB don't have a boot release or any sensible way of releasing but not come across this with the big black box.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
doing rear discs soon, so will have a look - with how these EPB fail stuck on could be very akward ....

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
looked on the 2008 G Scenic and there is a cable release but its under car (half length of a 2005 cable) it's location is clipped to boot floor between spare wheel and rear exhaust box - no visible handle just a plastic tube cover on its end - guess under this must be a moulded nipple you can grip with mole grips and pull on to release brakes..... once safely jacked and axel standed. It also (the cable) bends 90 degrees as exit EPB and mine has cracked the outer sleeve...

So basically took something that worked o.k for home mech emergency and made a garage recovery job if brakes jam on.....

and my rear disc caliper carrier bolts are seized solid and the E18 torq heads have corroded away.... new bolts and heat / drill or grinder - so no discs fitted today....

·
22,049 Posts
Thanks for the update Nexxie
Like you say, seems that the bean counters have saved a couple of quid on a placcie handle, grommet, a little bit of cable and a bracket to make a simple emergency system into something ridiculous.:crying2:

And why do they stick torx heads on things like caliper carriers?
Going to get all the muck and salt, corrode in place and don't even have a decent hex head to grip. :frown2:

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
looked on the 2008 G Scenic and there is a cable release but its under car (half length of a 2005 cable) it's location is clipped to boot floor between spare wheel and rear exhaust box - no visible handle just a plastic tube cover on its end - guess under this must be a moulded nipple you can grip with mole grips and pull on to release brakes..... once safely jacked and axel standed. It also (the cable) bends 90 degrees as exit EPB and mine has cracked the outer sleeve...

So basically took something that worked o.k for home mech emergency and made a garage recovery job if brakes jam on.....

and my rear disc caliper carrier bolts are seized solid and the E18 torq heads have corroded away.... new bolts and heat / drill or grinder - so no discs fitted today....

future ref the rear caliper carrier bolts are E16 (not e18) and the renault part no is 82 00 322 388 a set of 4 cost £14.98 at time of posting 23/05/2018.

hopefully heat and hammering on a spare odd E16 from one of my several sets (why do the common ones dissapear? lol!) will remove the old correded ones - job for tomorrow if dry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts