Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a grim tale. Basically my 1.4 mk1 failed on emissions. I'm pretty sure the garage destroyed the engine. Rather than scrapping it I decided to get a replacement engine, and also needed a new exhaust. My mechanic has fitted everything and again it has failed on lambda too high after 2nd fast idle. My mechanic says the engine is no good, thinks its burning oil. the guy I bought the engine off says it will be an air leak or fuel problem as the engine is sound. I'm about 1k down and no further forward, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tony

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,026 Posts
got a read out of emissions we can have a look at
I would be blocking rear of exhaust off, and seeing if any blowing of the exhaust

Favourite exhaust manifold to head as lambda is high up on these engines..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got a read out of emissions we can have a look at
I would be blocking rear of exhaust off, and seeing if any blowing of the exhaust

Favourite exhaust manifold to head as lambda is high up on these engines..
Sorry I don't have the print out of emissions. The exhaust is brand new, it was on its way out so thought it might be an issue, so got a new one. I know these cars can be difficult so thought there might be something obvious that might have been missed before I decide what to do with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The donor car was last MOT 3 year ago with no emission problems, only 39k on clock, but I'm assuming hadn't been in use for the last 3 years so some of the seals might not be great on it, that's my mechanics theory

·
39,026 Posts
You need this print out we will be guessing with your money
You are looking for Hydrocarbons for Oil If that passed, then ignore Oil
its only failed on lambda
Was the lambda sensor reading actually moving
Or a static reading

Would be having no faith in this mechanic myself ..

He's guessing ( Same as us ), but he;s got paperwork from emissions to tell him whats wrong, and where to look

Lambda, either leaking exhaust system
Faulty Lambda .
Hydrocarbons are in, so no issues with oil, or Fuel getting into the Oil

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's going to get it tomorrow. Does anyone know a mechanic in North East England that can deal with these cars. The original garage couldn't sort it, despite being around for years with old school mechanics, my current one is struggling as well it seems. I always worry about trusting my car and cash with people who might not be that experienced with old clios. I'm clueless myself as you can tell 😒

·
39,026 Posts
clio mk 1 get a cloth and cover back of the exhaust.. with engine running see if its blowing
make sure engine is up to operating temp first

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a brand new full exhaust, will do it once I get the car back though. Its still with the mechanic but he's ran out of ideas so getting it back soon

·
39,026 Posts
Ask mechanic to do it

If Lambda is not moving when revving its tucked or wires to it
If its coming down and then shooting back up, look for an exhaust leak
Would say if its got an air leak then he should be able to check this with Brake and clutch cleaner

But then CO should be all over the place

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,510 Posts
I suspect you may have swapped an engine with no good reason but that is also a guess.
Most emissions faults come down to something simple and any decent mechanic or garage should be able to sort..... end of the day, it is an engine with "standard" controls and sensors.
If the mechanic starts with that and not "it's Renault, an old Clio, nightmare them are..." they may actually approach it with some thought.

Sorry, rant over..... get the info Ourkid asked for, we may be able to narrow it down.
Have they tried any diagnostics...live data readouts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think they have the equipment to do anything like diagnostics. I think I'm struggling to find a decent mechanic unfortunately. I will post the emissions as soon as I get them. Many thanks

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Wow, those figures are hugely out.
The smell out of the back end must be awful, the CO and HC are worse than on a non-cat car.
My thoughts are the lambda probe has failed, and it's knackered the catalytic converter in the process.
Did your new exhaust include a new cat?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. The last engine failed virtually as bad as this. This one has failed with a different engine and a new exhaust, but just as bad. The car has been for a second opinion, and they are now talking of replacing the injection system, I'm guessing they think that it's got a different engine, new exhaust and still miles off emmisions so try the fuel injector next. The exhaust was buggered anyway, so has a new cat only part I couldn't get was the back box and that isn't too bad. Please keep the ideas coming, I really want to save my poor old car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is unburnt fuel coming down the exhaust.
Is the engine getting enough air? Air filter blocked?
Try looking at the spark plugs. What colour are the tips?
I had new plugs put in when the engine was changed, and I'm told they are fouled and needed cleaning already. I'm just trying to pinpoint the problem, I'm currently fighting with the guy I got the engine off, but I'm starting to wonder if it is a fuel problem after all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts