Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks I have been looking at buying a Clio 1.2 16v

however when I removed the oil filler cap it was covered with sludge,

does this means the head gasket is blown?
and how much damage to the engine will this do?

any information would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Deso

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes it can indicate the HG has blown, but it can also indicate that the car has done mainly short trips and has not really warmed up enough to remove any moisture and it's just a result of condensation.

If the water temp is ok and theres no sign of oil in the expansion tank it's more likely the latter.

What age is the Clio and is it private or dealer, if dealer you could maybe get a warrenty to cover the HG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. Yes it can indicate the HG has blown, but it can also indicate that the car has done mainly short trips and has not really warmed up enough to remove any moisture and it's just a result of condensation.

If the water temp is ok and theres no sign of oil in the expansion tank it's more likely the latter.

What age is the Clio and is it private or dealer, if dealer you could maybe get a warrenty to cover the HG

it's a private sale, I did point it out and hope the problem will be addressed
the car has done 45 000 miles roughly and is a 2001 Y reg

would the engine need flushed out to get rid of the gunk
if it was due to condensation ?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
It would be best if the engine's internals were flushed using a special additive (which is placed into the oil before draining). The oil filter will probably have some of this residue within it (and should be changed as a matter of course).

At least if the engine starts off with a clean slate, then you have the most objective means to monitor its status.

Paul:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts