Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question I know but I've yet to get a good look around theses Laguna beasties yet!

Is there an easy way of tell what BHP the 1.9dci engine has just by looking. As far as I can tell there seems to be a few different bhp's from the 1.9 dci.

I know the ford mondeo's have a plaque on the side of the engine. Do renault do the same?

Cheers guys!

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
That's far from being a stupid question. It's not easy to identify which particular variant of the 1.9 dCi that the car is running. My phase II has a sticker on the B pillar (you have to open the driver's door to see it) which I'm pretty sure gives it away as a dCi 130. I'll double-check tomorrow if I remember. I don't know if any of the the Phase 1's had the sticker, but I'm pretty sure my old 2002 2.0 IDE didn't (then again, maybe they only put it on the diesels.)

I could be wrong, but I think the Dynamique and upwards (i.e. Dynamique, Privilege and Initiale) all got the 120 horse engine as standard, while the Authentique and Expression got a few lower variants, ranging from 95bhp to around 110-ish. It may also have been possible to get the 95-100bhp engine in the higher specced models as an option, as this was the only Euro IV engine that they offered in the Lag for a long time, and many people will have wanted it for the Euro IV company car tax breaks.

Also, I've a feeling that Renault actually quote PS figures rather than BHP, which I always take as a rather sneaky trick to get another horse or two for free.

Yes, it's all as clear as mud. Welcome to the wonderful world of Renault :p

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, just a thought, but it may mention it on the V5. The power rating will certainly impact on the CO2 level, and what road tax banding you fall into.

Hope that helps,

Paul:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys.
Looks like the B-pillar is the place to look.

I tested a 54 plate authentique at the beginning of the week, with the 120 1.9dci engine and was really impressed, as it pulled just as well as my current 2.5V6 vehicle, up to the national speed limit anyway :rolleyes: .
I am going to hold out for a better spec'd version. Something with climate, and electric rears as well. I think that is dynamique and upwards.

Thanks again boys.
Ross.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I don't think the Dynamique ever had climate as standard, though it was available as an option pack on all models, and might have been a popular one. I'm not sure it has the electric rear windows either. Maybe a Dynamique owner can confirm for sure.

The Privilege should have everything you want, but if you like your toys, why not hold out for an Initiale if you can find one?

If your 2.5V6 is a petrol, then I'd expect that the dCi pulls at least as well. That's the diesel's great strength: In gear acceleration. But if you ever thrash a petrol car through the gears to get up to speed, you will find the diesel disappointing. Nearly 2 years on, I'm starting to learn to live with mine.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Pick up from standstill is never great in the derv... though I can't honestly say I've dropped the clutch at 4k revs in first yet ;)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Pick up from standstill is never great in the derv... though I can't honestly say I've dropped the clutch at 4k revs in first yet ;)
I reckon that as long as you spin the turbo up, you get off to a quick enough start. Holding 2K or even 1.5K is probably enough to take that dull edge off a standing start.

As I see it, there are two big problems with diesels when it comes to performance.

For starters, there's the low red-line. 4750 on the dCi 130 - I assume it's the same or slightly lower on the 120. Mine's gutless past 4.5K and I believe the 130 is an improvement over the 120 in this respect. You may have extra torque, but you lose out to a similarly powerful petrol by having to change up to higher gears at much lower speeds. My old IDE would do 60 in second and 90 in third. On the dCi, 50's your lot in second, and third wimps out on you at 70.

Also, while I've never seen it mentioned elsewhere, I feel that a big part of the diesel engine's problem is that it's just not as free-revving as a petrol. They'll pull like a good'un with your foot to the floor at a set engine speed, and even accelerate moderately well, but ask one to fly through the rev range in each of the gears, and it kind of grumbles its way up the dial rather than leaping up to the red-line as a petrol would. When you're trying to accelerate as quickly as possible through the gears, I reckon it's that rather than the low RPM limit that really holds you back.

The Dynamique does indeed have electric rear windows...
Cheers for clearing that up. I could have sworn I saw what appeared to be a Dynamique in a showroom with only electric fronts. It was the sports part-leather seats that made me think it was a Dynamique, so maybe it was a special edition, or a lower model with the leather as an option. Or maybe I'm just getting confused between two different cars that I saw in a dealer's showroom. That's probably the most likely explanation.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Dynamiques only have standard air con as standard. To get climate in a Dtnamique you need one with the Comfort pack - this also includes a sunroof! or a moonroof as its called in the SportTourer.
Privilege spec dcis are pretty rare beasts, Initiales are even rarer,on the secondhand market. Or at least decent, well looked after low mileage 10mth old ish models are.

We almost gave up finding one and went for a Mundaneo tdci, days after finding the Mundaneo the Laguna turned up, luckkily the Mundaneo wasn't a done deal so we went for the Lag, spent 4mths looking for it.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Dynamiques only have standard air con as standard. To get climate in a Dtnamique you need one with the Comfort pack - this also includes a sunroof! or a moonroof as its called in the SportTourer.
Privilege spec dcis are pretty rare beasts, Initiales are even rarer,on the secondhand market. Or at least decent, well looked after low mileage 10mth old ish models are, which is how old ours was when we got it.

We almost gave up finding one and went for a Mundaneo tdci, days after finding the Mundaneo the Laguna turned up, luckkily the Mundaneo wasn't a done deal so we went for the Lag, spent 4mths looking for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts