Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recap, a few months ago I bought a grand espace III 2.2dt year 2000, the car ran like a dream then died. the car was towed to the Renault garage they couldnt start it so the cam cover was taken off (after I described the sound the engine made). Cam lobes had all but gone, initial diagnosis, car had been clocked, when I pointed out that the cam belt was loose they decided an I agreed the belt had slipped a few notches.
The garage wanted to replace the cam, timing belt an send the car on it's way, I posted some photos of the camshaft in the engine section an also sent some photos to a good friend in Barcalona who owns a motor reconditioning shop, He phoned me an said under no condition let them repair that engine as it's sufferd from lack of oil changes or partial oil pump failure.

So I found a Laguna G8T-760 engine with 30.000 kilometers. Not wanting any more problems I took the turbo an injection pump to be reconditioned, fitted a new timing belt, waterpump an clutch, took the whole thing to my friend in Barcelona mounted it in his test bank an fired it up.
Ran perfectly through out the rev range, now it's in the Renault garage waiting to be fitted next week.

Total cost for engine and reconditioning plus quote for fitting in to car 2500 euros.

I just hope It all goes well.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Thank you zep for getting back to us all with this great news,not so good for the back pocket but you have done what most people would run a mile from i wish you all the luck with the big bus when you get it,her, back:d keep us all posted all the best Donald.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's been a few months since I could get the engines changed (spent the money on a Landrover project) So a laguna 2.2 dt engine swaps into a Espace III with only one slight problem, The injector pump needs to be from the original engine as it is tied in to the ECU. The Espace is now back on the road an I've done around 10.000 klms with no problems
(yet)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Cheers for the update ... glad it all OK now. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts