Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would you believe it, yet another problem:steam:

Yesterday my STOP light came on with the engine temp. light (needle just past 3/4). I noticed today that the engine cooling fans were not rotating:(

Question 1;
Can anyone tell me if the picture below is of the fan switch or not:confused:

I have bridged the gap between the contacts anyway and the fans do not work. I ran a volt meter between the two contacts and it read between 11.5 and 12.8 volts so I am assuming there is no problem with the feed.

Question 2;
If the volt meter showed a reading does this also mean the earth contact for the switch is fine or is the earth contact in line after the fans:confused: If yes, any idea where it would be:confused:

Question 3;
As I have two fans, I was wondering whether both would stop working if one or the other were faulty:confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi Scatz you are just having no luck at all mate are you:( .When you got the car iam i right in saying that the fans were going then all the time but got faster when the car started to heat up or did they just come on when it heated up.As you said there is power getting there but the fans are not coming on i would guess a switch problem.???

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Scatz - the thermostatic fan switches are screwed into either the radiator or a water jacket - the pic you posted seems to be somewhere else - both fans come in at different temperatures - one when the engine is hot and the other when it is really really hot. If you find the switch disconnect the connector and bridge both cables (a paper clip is ideal) and see what happens - at least one of the fans should run. I'm not trying to teach my granny to suck eggs but have you checked the fuses.:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same model as you Scatz and when you are testing is the temperature already up because mine doesn't switch on unless the temperature is up. (i.e. they don't run constantly).
It might be that the power is getting there but there could be a sensor to flick the switch so you could be looking for a secondary device.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Problem solved!

Donald - No, I'm not having much luck. The problem with buying second hand I guess.

Mad - I have now located the correct sensor. It's located on one of the radiator pipes and can only be got to with the car jacked up. I have no idea what the sensor is that is in the picture, my OH's cousin informed me the pipe it is on goes to the power steering. Would the power steering have a sensor on it? I don't know!

Scubapro - Yes, they should switch on when the temperature is up.

Anyway, before I took the car to OH's cousin (to borrow his nice flat drive and jacks) I took the front grill off to test the fans directly connected to the battery and they both span (used an audio cable as it's all I had long enough:eek: ), which was good news. I found the right sensor and bridged the gap and one of the fans spun, so it looks as though I just need a new switch which is on order for Monday.

I'm just glad it was this and only gonna cost me £22 rather than needing new fans or the like.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Regards
Dan:)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good news scatz
Yeah, although I haven't got any idea where I can even scrape £22 together yet:crazy: , that's how bad my finances are at the moment. Have to go running to daddykins me thinks.

Just glad it not something expensive like all the other niggles I've come across as this is something that needs to be done!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The sensor on the steering regulates the assistance depending on vehicle speed - full power steering at stop and low speeds but reduced assistance when travelling - it's designed to give a better feel to the steering. Typical renaults they only fit part-time power steering (talk about cut backs)LOL:d

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How does it regulate it mad, I mean what does it actually do to regulate it? Not that I need to know, but "all knowledge is good knowledge" as they say.:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Great news the fans are working and its only going to cost £22 but alot on money when things are tight what would we all do with out mums and dads:d ;)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great news the fans are working and its only going to cost £22 but alot on money when things are tight what would we all do with out mums and dads:d ;)
What eh:rolleyes:

If it were not for some biatch that decided 'just like that' that she could no longer afford the OH's child minding services (without giving her the four weeks notice as stated on the contract:steam: ) we'd have £400 to play with this month. With that, I could have probably sorted my blower motor and bought the brake disks and pads that I could do with!

Never mind eh, the kids have got a roof over their heads and just enough food for the time being, priorities first:yawn: . The toy can wait a while longer.:(

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
What eh:rolleyes:

If it were not for some biatch that decided 'just like that' that she could no longer afford the OH's child minding services (without giving her the four weeks notice as stated on the contract:steam: ) we'd have £400 to play with this month. With that, I could have probably sorted my blower motor and bought the brake disks and pads that I could do with!

Never mind eh, the kids have got a roof over their heads and just enough food for the time being, priorities first:yawn: . The toy can wait a while longer.:(
Oh dear not so good, you will bounce back scatz iam sure and all will be well:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Scatz - regarding your query about the steering rack - the sensor monitors the pressure of hydraulic fluid in the rack and is controlled via the speedo. The faster the car goes the less pressure is delivered to the rack and vice versa when travelling slow or when stopped. It's now a feature on many cars not just renaults and allows more feel or feedback to the driver through the steering.:)

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Scatz - regarding your query about the steering rack - the sensor monitors the pressure of hydraulic fluid in the rack and is controlled via the speedo. The faster the car goes the less pressure is delivered to the rack and vice versa when travelling slow or when stopped. It's now a feature on many cars not just renaults and allows more feel or feedback to the driver through the steering.:)
Thanks mad:)

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
it also stops your engine stalling when your parking thrrwing your steering around whilst on tick over .i had hell with a savannha that ha da duff sensor for this grrr

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Christ, I nearly had a heart attack this aft:crazy: . Having got the fan switch, I drained the system, removed the old switch and replaced with the new switch.

Let the car idle for a while until the temp. got up, way up:crazy: . The needle was just under the hatchings when the STOP and temp. lights illuminated..............."that's it", I thought, I have no pennies whatsoever and thought I was gonna have to live without the car for quite a while as I couldn't afford to run the damned thing without the fans:( as a gasket blow would be rather more expensive....just slightly:rolleyes: !

Anyway, checked the fuses in the engine bay and found one missing, which I had noticed before, replaced it and hey presto, fans working:d

What I cannot fathom out is.....why/how were the fans working previously (and they were) when the missing fuse has been missing since I've had the car? Wierd or what....actually, no, just French electrics;) .

Disaster and heart condition averted:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts