Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everybody

I’ve been reading through the hesitation problems but I am not sure if any of the solutions regarding the EGR apply to my car as everything I could find referred to the turbo engines.

March 1996 Laguna Estate
Silver
2.2 diesel non turbo
100k on first engine
83k on second engine

The car was fine when new but after about 25k hesitation between 1500-2000 started to appear when cold, despite asking for this to be looked at the problem was never fixed. The engine however continued to run fine when fully warmed up until after 40k when hesitation started to creep in when hot at the same 1500 to 2000 range. By the time 100k had been reached running when cold became ever more violent and less so when hot, when giving it a lot of throttle the engine would pass 1500-2000 without any problems.

In 2000 with 100k miles the engine was replaced by a reconditioned unit after the radiator took a hit at 70 and lost all the water and before I even realised what had happened the engine got deep fried. The new engine was an absolute gem, much less vibration and faster ( well as fast as a non turbo diesel can be expected to be) and still is far better than the old unit ever was even to this day. But at about the same miles as the old unit had the exact same hesitation started to happen and slowly as the miles mounted it now has the very bad when cold, not too bad when hot problem all over again.

I do have a Haynes manual but although very good at showing how things come apart it is useless at fault finding.

After reading the forums I am going to have a go at cleaning (replacing if needed) the EGR system but also decided to make a post here just in case there is something else I should look into or there is another problem elsewhere. As you can tell I love this old car and intend to keep it forever if possible.

Oh and sorry for being so long winded, I do tend to write a novel when a 10 word sentence would suffice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought the same kind of car. Mine had a leak in diesel pump, so i took it out and take it to a diesel service. The service replaced all gaskets and tested and adjusted it. Now i have the same behaviour. Loss of power and black smoke at about 2000rpm. I tried to take the cable from the pneumatic valve which controls the egr valve and with the cable unplugged the smoke and hesitation didn't happen anymore. There isn't much power, but the ride is smooth. I must try to clean the valve myself and see what happens. Laguna 2.2 diesel non-turbo, 400000km.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ihad the same problem with my 2.2 laguna and i cured it by injecting some injector cleaner into the vacume chamber on top of the EGR valve.I removed rubber tube from top of EGR and pumped in 20ml of injector cleaner leave stand overnight. Next morning road test engine up to3500 revs to blow out carbon. Iuse a ink jet syringe to add cleaner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts