Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,first timer on this site,hope someone can give me some idea's,i am a member of other sites similar to this,and i know how valuable they can be as a source of information,so here goes,

I bought a 1999 1.6 rn laguna a couple of months ago,more out of desperation than anything else(i needed a second car quick,and it was cheap). but recently,sometimes when it's idling it's very erratic.when starting from cold,it ticks over at 15,000rpm but will sometimes hunt between 12,000 and 18,000(i'm assuming 15,000 is tick over on auto-choke)when it does settle down it ticks over at a steady 8,000rpm,but during a journey of whatever distance,when the car comes to a halt and starts to idle,more often than not,it will hunt anywhere between 8,000 and 20,000 revs,but by the same token it can sometimes hunt only very slightly,between 8,000 and 12,000,if anyone has any suggestions as to what might be the cause i'm all ears,many thanks in advance for any help offered.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I take it you mean 1800 ro 200 rpm otherwise you would be driving a jet turbine.:eek:

On the older Renaults the most common cause of erratic idling is usually down to a dirty or worn Idle Control Valve (ICV).

Normal idle speed is around 750 ro 800 rpm when warm.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts