Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all
just had new mass air system fitted on my laguna and now i can hear an unusual sound when im driving and changing gear .also lifted the bonnet up and noticed a sound like a fan running any ideas what this could be plz:confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
This strange sound you hear when changing gear, is it like a "PSHHH" or "TSHHH"? If so it will be the turbo dumping boost when you let off the throttle, it does this so the turbo doesn't stall when the butterfly closes in the throttle body. There might be a leak somewhere, usually the excess boost is dumped into the airbox, have a look around there or any pipes leading to and from it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx marty
ill let my mechanic know about that. he said to me did i fill up with petrol cause there was water or something coming out the exhaust just wandered what that could be

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol thx chris :confused: could it be the cat packed up or the exhaust cos my mechanic is a bit mistified what is wrong

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi all my mechanic just phoned and said engine sucked quite a bit of all from sump what has gone on my car plz anyone:(

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hate to say it, but if your turbo's sucking oil from the sump then it sounds like it's a dead un. The car's at the garage now right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi marty
yes car is in the garage ,my mechanic said there was only a little bit of oil left hes draining it out and go from there just wanted to know if it is very serious or not

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Jeff, i meant your turbo. If it has sucked all that oil from the sump then it's quite safe to say it's gone. Saying that though, I've heard that when the turbo takes the oil like that it causes the engine to rev really high and you can't turn it off. Did this happen to you or your mechanic?

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Yep,if the turbo is sucking oil from the sump,then the turbo is fubar'd.:(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thx guys for your response the engine didnt rev high so will have to buy a new turbo. oh well will keep you informed how things turn out, again thx for your assistance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts