Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 54 clio (petrol 1.2 75bhp 16v), the engine oil cap doesn't seem to seal correctly despite buying a new one too (Im sure its the right one for my car too) idk if this is a common problem or not? Any help and advice would be helpful, thanks

·
Super mod..
29,811 Posts
Ok just checked and one cap fits both engines so it should be ok.. where is it leaking from ..is there a seal in place on the cap..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It just seems to leak through the seal if that makes sense, like the seal is in the right place and the cap is fully shut,

·
Super mod..
29,811 Posts
Possibly then a fault cap.. cant think what else it would be.. just because its new doesn't always mean it will do the job.. have you got the old cap ? if so then fit the seal from that on on top so you have 2 seals.. as you push down then this should bring the cap and housing tighter together..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I threw the old cap out but I can just buy a new seal and do the same thing and see what happens, thanks for the help

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
6,185 Posts
Hi all, I have a 54 clio (petrol 1.2 75bhp 16v), the engine oil cap doesn't seem to seal correctly despite buying a new one too (Im sure its the right one for my car too) idk if this is a common problem or not? Any help and advice would be helpful, thanks
What exactly is the problem? ............... the oil pooling in that tub next to the filler neck?

·
Technical Supremo.
6,185 Posts
Yh pretty much, the cap isn’t sealing so im losing oil
So .................. you used a rag and wiped that pool of oil from the tub and it basically gets filled again?

·
Technical Supremo.
6,185 Posts
Every time i drive somewhere basically, short trip or long trip.
If it gets filled in a short trip, then it will get overfilled and oil will run down the engine and cause a mess, smell and smoke ..................... is this also happening?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it gets filled in a short trip, then it will get overfilled and oil will run down the engine and cause a mess smell and smoke ..................... is this also happening?
I don’t think it fills enough to run down but I can smell burning from time to time

·
Technical Supremo.
6,185 Posts
I don’t think it fills enough to run down but I can smell burning from time to time
Sorry that just doesn't compute.

That tub is there to prevent the spillage from the mechanic when he ads oil during a service and to catch that spillage, allowing him to do a proper job and to clean the little bit of oil out of the tub with a rag - this in order to prevent oil running onto the engine causing smells, smoke and possible burning.

If the tub is filling through the filler neck bypassing the oil cap you have a way more serious problem than a simple leaking cap - IMO you don't have a leaking cap because the cap will continue to leak if it is leaking and thereby causing the tub to overflow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry that just doesn't compute.

That tub is there to prevent the spillage from the mechanic when he ads oil during a service and to catch that spillage, allowing him to do a proper job and to clean the little bit of oil out of the tub with a rag - this in order to prevent oil running onto the engine causing smells, smoke and possible burning.

If the tub is filling through the filler neck bypassing the oil cap you have a way more serious problem than a simple leaking cap - IMO you don't have a leaking cap because the cap will continue to leak if it is leaking and thereby causing the tub to overflow.
Any ideas on what sort of problem it could be though?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts