Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 98 espace dt 2.2 has done 185k and running sweet, but now i want to do an oil change as i have not long had the car and want to change it as i am not sure the last time it was done.
my question is, is it ok to use a flushing additive in the old oil before i do the oil and filter change to clean the engine or do you suggest i dont use it and just change the old for new.
all help thankful
Mark

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i have always used oil flush at the price it costs its not going to kill your wallet and it will do no harm at all, just have a read of the tin and see whats best for your engine all the best Donald.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have heard that engine flush removes some of the dirt attached to gaskets and the like which may cause oil leaks afterwards, just thought i would get some advice off you all first
regards Mark

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The jury is still out on this one I'm afraid as some manufacturers don't recommend it - I have head of cases where after use the engine becomes a bit more noisy. Opinions will vary greatly on this one - but my view is save your money and just change the oil more often as modern oils have detergents already added. My view is always to change the oil along with the filter each time as if uou don't change the filter the new engine oil is likely to flush mach of the guff trapped in the filter back out into the engine.

P.S. It is worth using a good quality synthetic oil which is likely to stay cleaner lomger anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts